Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:47 AM   #11

tried it with 16mb panasonic... i can stop the zoom at 10x
tried it with 256mb toshiba... i can stop the zoom at 6x
tried it with 1gb sandisk... the zoom canot be stopped

so my conclusion is, the smaller the card, it takes less time for the camera to access and read the card's contents... and when it finished reading/access the card, the zoom lever can be stopped...
chinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:54 AM   #12

nice test!

the evidence seems to confirm that, but I still don' t see the connection beetwenthem......

I wrote to panasonic about that

overall the improvmentwith high speed cards is impressive!! isn't it?

bye
maury1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:14 AM   #13

I tried my 3 512 mB cards - 2 Kingston,1 extreMEmory( from Pixmania), all standard speed.

I couldnt stop the startup zoom while with the Panasonic 16 mB it worked.

JL
jlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:04 AM   #14

Thank's everyone

I hope someone get a solution because I love the feature I mentioned.

maury1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:52 AM   #15

Well if you ask me it seems obvious what´s going on.
The is some kind of reading of the card (Table Of Contents or whatever) and as the card is being looked at by the computer in the cam, it starts the mechanical process of zooming the lens at the same time.
The computer is busy checking out the card so it´s not ready to scan the controls (the zoom control in particular), so touching the control to interupt the zooming process won´t work with the larger cards.

Anyway the hidden feature is not a feature but an interuption to a process so don´t knock Panasonic for the loss of a "feature"

Accept it and move on. You might not be able to have your gigabyte and eat it, too!

This whole discusssion is actually helping me to decide if I ACTUALLY want to go for a 1 gig card (I have a 256mb one ) or just go for a smaller high speed card and get a Trancend photobank (a portable 20 or 40 gig hard drive to store pictures)

I could just transfer from the full card to the drive as I´m taking pics on the next card. I´ve heard that the transfering of 1 gig takes up to 15 minutes wheras a 256 card takes about 5 minutes or less.
And remember, these cards are used only in the cam. Investing some of that money on a battery powered hard drive might be a more useful tool for the cam AND for all the computers we have at home.
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:35 PM   #16

My bubble burst.

I have two of the Lexar 1gb 32x cards. I also do not have this feature present with these cards. My only other card is the 16 mb Panasonic card that came with the camera - I never took that one out of the blue wrapper until a minute ago.

Now I know what I was missing!!

That zoom feature is neat but so far it's absence has not been a major hindrance to me. I suppose when my wife gets her LZ-2 that I just preordered I might give her one of the 1gb cards and then get a lower capacity card for myself - I think that for some wildlife photography it might make the difference between "got it" and "missed it".
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:04 AM   #17

maury1961 wrote:
Quote:
I found the camera loosing the nice feature to stop the auto zoom setting on sartup when using the 32x 1gb sd lexar.

anyone has that problem or solution?

Thank's:?
I have that exact card and I never noticed it. I just let the camera do its thing and then start taking photos.
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:43 AM   #18

512 sandisk ultra 2, can stop it by 6X
kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote