Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:46 PM   #1

I found the camera loosing the nice feature to stop the auto zoom setting on sartup when using the 32x 1gb sd lexar.

anyone has that problem or solution?

Thank's:?
maury1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2

odd... the SD card has nothing to do with any of the camera's zoom functions...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:57 AM   #3

That sounds Very strange.. Does everything work with the Stock 16mb in the camera?

:?

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:17 AM   #4

yes, everything is ok with a panasonic 16mb and with a 128mb apacer
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

maury1961 wrote:
Quote:
yes, everything is ok with a panasonic 16mb and with a 128mb apacer
That doesn't make any sense. I guess I'm not quite undertanding your problem.. You say..

Quote:
stop the auto zoom setting on sartup
Are you saying that your zoom has lost the ability to step between steps? That is between 1x - 2x I can fine adjust. Some cameras go straight from 1x to 2x with no in between.. Maybe with a 1G card the camera takes a bit longer to inialize?? Yes, No??

????????:?:

Jeff
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:44 PM   #6

what model camera do you have, and what exactly do you mean by 'stop the autozoom setting on startup'? the FZ20, when powered up, seems to beat about 3-4x when the display comes on, then zooms back to 1x. It doesn't focus during this process, and you can't stop it.

The memory card should not interfere in any way with the zoom process. A 1GB card, because of its size, may take a moment longer to initialize, but i don't know if the camera does anything to check or verify the card when it powers up, other than to make sure a card is in place.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:59 PM   #7

When you switch on the camera, the lenses comes out and the zoom goes from tele to wide.

if you want to stop the zoom movement simply touch the zoom switch and the camera is ready to shotfaster (you can reduce the startup time at 1\2 sec) Butat the zoom positionyou stopped.

NORMALLY....... BUT NOT WITH THE LEXAR SD ON on my fz20

odd...... yes! but it comes with me

would be interesting hear some other 1gb lexar user
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:37 PM   #8

My lexar 256mb card (non high speed) is OK. It let´s me stop the zooming early on the startup.

Could it be a problem because it is high speed? Anyone else with a high speed card have the same problem?

Everyone should learn this "trick" because it is often those quick shots that are far away that you could actually catch without wasting time for a long startup then extra time to zoom.

Thanks for reminding me of the "feature"
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:53 PM   #9

gmosc wrote:
Quote:
My lexar 256mb card (non high speed) is OK. It let´s me stop the zooming early on the startup.

Could it be a problem because it is high speed? Anyone else with a high speed card have the same problem?

Everyone should learn this "trick" because it is often those quick shots that are far away that you could actually catch without wasting time for a long startup then extra time to zoom.

Thanks for reminding me of the "feature"
I don't have a 1G card to test it on but if I'm right about the time to initially scan the card, I would think a high speed card would actually help. After all, in order to take the photo, there has to be free storage space on the card.. It takes 4 times longer to read a 1G card than a 256Mb and 8 times longer than 128Mb, just based on size factor. Without using the early ready feature, it would probably not be very perceptable.

Does the card work otherwise?

BTW, That stop feature is something I was unaware of so if nothing else, I've learned something new.

Jeff

Edit:: I had to actually try this feature to see what you were talking about... Like I said, learned something new. I've tried my 256mb 45x against the stock 16mb and couldn't see much difference in reaction on the initial zoom. With a Very unscientific, one-one thousand, two one thousand, etc test one thing I DID note is that the camera just being allowed to power on took 2 seconds to go to ready state with the 256Mb and about 1 second with the 16mb.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:08 AM   #10

You are right...

I didn't know that you could interrupt the zoom movent (12x-1x) on startup. I, too, have a lexar 1GB 32x card. When starting up with this card, the camera must return to 1x zoom before I can control the zoom. I put in my original Panasonic card, and I can interrupt the 'zoom return' by hitting the zoom lever and stopping it wherever it may be.
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote