Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:18 PM   #1

Hope I am not posting where I shouldn't but, if so, please forgive...brand new to forums.

I am having a rough time deciding between the FZ20 and the Nikon 8800. I am wondering if the 5mgplx of the FZ20 will cause me to wish I had opted for the 8 mgplx Nikon in the future. I doubt that I would ever want to print anything larger then 20" prints but, thinking I would be able to have larger crops with the 8mgxl.

Any comments anyone could lend my way would be appreciated.

Also concerned about reliability but seem to find that either camera is a decent, reliable performer. Anyone had regrets on going with 5 mgpxl in this age or the super 8's?
Are there any actual advantages of having the 5 over the 8?

Thank you...
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

static wrote:
Quote:
Hope I am not posting where I shouldn't but, if so, please forgive...brand new to forums.

I am having a rough time deciding between the FZ20 and the Nikon 8800. I am wondering if the 5mgplx of the FZ20 will cause me to wish I had opted for the 8 mgplx Nikon in the future. I doubt that I would ever want to print anything larger then 20" prints but, thinking I would be able to have larger crops with the 8mgxl.

Any comments anyone could lend my way would be appreciated.

Also concerned about reliability but seem to find that either camera is a decent, reliable performer. Anyone had regrets on going with 5 mgpxl in this age or the super 8's?
Are there any actual advantages of having the 5 over the 8?

Thank you...

I suggest you read the reviews on both cameras at all the normal sites (dpreview,stevesdigicams, and dcresources). I spent the last month looking at every camera out there and in the end it was between the Nikon and the Panasonic. All reviews I read were very disappointed in the slow reaction time and sluggishness of the Nikon. This is unacceptable at the price they want for it. I bought the FZ20 and am very happy with. I can damn near by two panasonics for the price of the nikon. Just my opinion after many many hours of research.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3

Thank you for the info... believe me, I have read so many reviews on these two cameras, my eyes are just about
shot..(:

The one thing that none of the reviews seem to emphasize
is frequency of problems/repairs for either model.

I figure the best source of this information is from actual
owners. This is the main purpose of my post.

From the pictures I have seen here that were taken with the FZ20...I tend to believe that the FZ20 takes sharper pictures then the higher 8mgpxl Nikon.

Hoping for additional comments for or against the FZ20 as this is my first choice with the Nikon a close second.

Thanks again...
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:54 PM   #4

static wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the info... believe me, I have read so many reviews on these two cameras, my eyes are just about
shot..(:

From the pictures I have seen here that were taken with the FZ20...I tend to believe that the FZ20 takes sharper pictures then the higher 8mgpxl Nikon.

Hoping for additional comments for or against the FZ20 as this is my first choice with the Nikon a close second.

Thanks again...

I forgot to mention that in all my reading the overall synopsis seems to be that manufactures are selling cameras (8 MP) but the technology is not there yet for crispy-clear pics. Alot of noise and other problems across the board. I can think of no reason to have a 8MP camera- period. Between 4 and 6 is the sweet spot all the way around. I have only had my FZ20 a short period and being winter here makes getting practice with it a pain. But I will try some this weekend. There are some absolutely beautiful pics here and other panasonic forums to be had for viewing. I have been reading the forums here and "dcresource.com", and "dpreview.com". All the different forums are unique and different in there own way. Lots of help when you need it here. I am currently getting my list together for some add-on lenses and the experts here have been very helpful... Especially Nick and Fred Moore.. Lots of luck, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:31 AM   #5

static wrote:
Quote:
shot..(:

Thanks again...
Both cameras probably do quite well. Being an FZ20 owner, I'm a bit biased however. I could never see paying the money on a digicam for the 5 magic letters N-I-K-O-N. Especially when for a few $$ (relatively) more I could have a D70 dSLR. Or- for about the same price as the 8800, a Canon digital Rebel. The 5 or 6 Mp dSLR will make the 8Mp 8800 look completely sick. It isn't in the Mp, it's in the processing and how crammed the sensor is with information.

Whichever camera you buy, make sure you know what it does and what you expect it to do (be realistic about that). A lot of the photos you see have at least some post processing. There are ways around most issues and that's the real beauty of digital photography. Neither camera is a point and shoot and will require some time and aquired skill to master.

If, in a perfect world, I could have exactly what I want it would be the FZ20 with (in order of preference)

1. A larger sensor

2. A gain up feature on the LCD for dark situations

3. A "B" setting (longest exp with the FZ20 is 8 seconds)

4. Threads on the lens body so no adapter would be required for filters (polarizers, etc).

5. Infared capability.

6. A movable LCD

You'll notice I didn't mention better video.. To me, others are free to and probably will, disagree, Video on a still camera is one of the most useless features I've ever seen. It's a novelty at best.

I could fill your screen with what I DO like about the camera but it would be redundant to most of the reviews you've already read. The above would be more creature comforts for me than anything else. I rarely use the B feature on my film cameras for example but it's there when I want it.

Both the FZ20 and the CP8800 have features that could sway you thier way but for my money, the FZ20 was the most bang for the buck. I would like to think that the lack of a repair or service history is because it simply doesn't exist. The FZ20 and the 8800 however haven't been out there very long and it may be coming. I hope not.

My 1.5 cents

Jeff

:G

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:18 AM   #6

I narrowed my choices down to the FZ20 and the Nikon 8800 as well, though I kept coming back to the FZ20. I think ggw2000 and jsiladi hit the nail on the head as far as the sluggishness and slow reaction time for the 8800, and the greater cost (about $300 more), not to mention the noise somewhat negating the additional megapixels. As you said, you could buy a DSLR for the price of the Nikon, for which you would get much faster reaction time and far less noise, though admittably you would have to pay more for an additional lens or lenses to get the same range. Sigh. There are always tradeoffs.

Another factor in favor of the FZ20 is the 12x Leica designed lens vs. the 10x Nikkon, and with the price difference for my FZ20, I was able to get a 1 Gigabyte, high speed SD card (the Kingmax from Newegg.com I learned about on this forum), and a camera bag and a very good tripod from B&H. (I can hardly wait for the last item to arrive!)

I know I'm a bit biased, and I have little experience in these matters, but I've spent two months reading everything I could get my eyes on about the subject and I've spent about a week with the FZ20. It's the best purchase I've ever made! It's well built, a joy to use, feature rich, and produces excellent images, though it's going to take some practice.

Good luck, and whichever you decide, you'll have fun!
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:22 PM   #7

pggunn:

Thanks for the information and I want to thank everyone else who took the time to reply. I am sold on the FZ20.

I did have what may seem to be a strange question though. I was wondering if I might end up with a larger crop-able picture with the 10X Nikon 8 mgplx at full zoom as opposed to the 12X FZ20 with it's 5 mgpxl but, after some reading, it looks like it's pretty much even. Reason I asked this is that things tend to be further away out here in Arizona then they were in my old home in Michigan. I expect to do a lot of exposures at or near full zoom.

I am amazed at the clarity, crispness and lifelike look of the photos from the FZ20 that I have seen on this forum. To say nothing of that fact that I am a little concerned about the comments I have read about how slow the CP8800 tends to record data plus, I have never been a fan of the rebate game that Nikon and others play so the FZ20 has a lead on that area also.

Once again, I thank you all....compaired to my very very old Minolta XK and X-700 35mm cameras, I am looking forward
to no longer being concerned about processing costs for prints and being able to shoot away and see immediate results.

Adios from what should be the dry heat state but, lately seems to resemble Michigan more and more each day.....(: