Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1

I am going to try using my Sunpak in the gym while taking regional wrestling pics. Would someone be kind enough to help me with the settings on it and also while using it, the settings on my FZ20? THANKS, Sandy
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:14 AM   #2

Sandy, that waitress I was seen' lost her desire for me
I spoke with her last night and she said she won't set herself on fire for me anymore...

Ahem... Old Springteen tune. Sorry.

I'm not familiar with this particular flash but what I do with the Vivitar DF 200 is test shots. I use shutter speed priority mode, and set it for 1/125 (and yes, that's pretty fast), and ISO 100. I take a shot er two, see how they turn out, and if I don't have the range, I'll lower the shutter speed to 1/60. I don't think you want to go lower that that on the SS side, so if you don't have the range you want, then bump it up to ISO 200. Flash photography with digitals is a lot more flexible, but as unforgiving as it always was. The biggest advantage is that you can see where you're off, and adjust, rather than messing up a whole role of film and waiting a week for it to come back from the lab.

Best I can say again, is take advantage of the instant feedback and adjust until you get the best results. Go a little early perhaps and just take a bunch of pics until you get the best results.

... and make sure you have fresh batteries in the flash, and a fully charged spare for your camera.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3
scb

Sandy and Nick!

Just tried Nick's suggested settings and found that I still had to cut back the flash setting on the Sunpak to 1/4 power or so....but I was inside and only shooting 15 feet distance or so.

With my limited experience, I've found that I have to take a couple of shots to see how much of the flash power I need, and whether I want to point the flash directly or use some level of bounce.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated here also. For sure...the Sunpak 383 really enhances the flash ability of the FZ20 and I'm so glad I made the purchase.

Nick....have you used any of the diffusers that attach to your flash unit? If so, for what purposes. I know there is a set of diffusers available for the 383 and was wondering if they were of use to the novice photographer.

Thanks!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:48 AM   #4

scb wrote:
Quote:
Nick....have you used any of the diffusers that attach to your flash unit? If so, for what purposes.
I haven't used a diffuser but they're great for protraits, photographing small objects, macros... some people use tracing paper and tape...

Yes... didn't know the 383 had those power setting but I almost always use the weakest setting close-up indoors. Gotta when you're w/in 5 feet or you'll blow everything out.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5

I have the sunpak 383, and what works for me is using it in aperature priority mode. The first thing I do is set the iso slide to 100 (and change it to iso 100 in camera), the other slide at the bottom should be set to A FULL. Now, the setting changer slide (the one that says M, RED A, Yellow A, and Green A) should be changed according to distance. I never use the M mode, but say, the red A with ISO 100 says to use the f/stop of 8, so I go in camera to change it to f8, and I use that in close distance (it says to use it within 2-15 meters or feet), likewise you can follow the same directions on the yellow one....set the aperature to f4, and use that within 4-30 feet. (I use this one a lot).
ninjasexturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:18 AM   #6

Use the auto setting on the Sunpak. Start with the green range, 100 ISO and experiment. Every situation is different. I use a diffusser for indoor close stuff. For this I would probably use direct flash. Once again try lots of setting. burst mode and hope for a small percentage of keepers. Shoot to thrill:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:49 PM   #7

How many times will this flash fire in burst mode?
bblick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:57 PM   #8

only once for me...and it only takes one picture when the manual flash is put on versus pressing and holding the shutter and it taking many pictures.

Plus, the manual says to wait for the "auto ok" light to flash green
ninjasexturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:29 PM   #9

When you want to use very little flash for example using 1/4 or less, How long is the mininum you might wait to shoot again? I imagine there is charge left in the capacitor to take a shot right away. Does the flash need to fully top off before it is ready again?

gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:48 PM   #10
scb

With fresh batteries, flash on 1/4, I can shoot as quickly as the camera resets....using Kingmax highspeed 512mb card. Moving to 1/2 flash power, it takes about a 5 second delay.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote