Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:55 PM   #11

So based upon these statements (battery will last for 2 years regardless of use) say the Lumix line tanks for some reason (which we all pray wont happen, I know!) and they stop producing them next year... Panasonic stops making these LithiumIon batteries. im guessing the aftermarket guys will also cease to make them as well.

So even if you stocked up on batteries right before theyquit production,they'd be uselessafter two years and then the camera would be a paperweight because batteries werent being produced anymore?

Could that happen? Is that what happened/will happento the Minolta guy? (Scary thought!!!!!!)
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:29 PM   #12

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
So based upon these statements (battery will last for 2 years regardless of use) say the Lumix line tanks for some reason (which we all pray wont happen, I know!) and they stop producing them next year... Panasonic stops making these LithiumIon batteries. im guessing the aftermarket guys will also cease to make them as well.

So even if you stocked up on batteries right before they quit production, they'd be useless after two years and then the camera would be a paperweight because batteries werent being produced anymore?

Could that happen? Is that what happened/will happen to the Minolta guy? (Scary thought!!!!!!)
No you buy a new Lumix FZxx every 2 years
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:36 PM   #13

Haha -- but how will you sell your FZ20 on ebay?!?!
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:00 PM   #14

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Dunno

btw you can make an external battery pack as last resort use
7 X NiMH AA cells, plug it into the ext'l. DC. socket.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:27 PM   #15

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Dunno

btw you can make an external battery pack as last resort use
7 X NiMH AA cells, plug it into the ext'l. DC. socket.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:29 PM   #16

Do you have a link for something like this? Have you done it yourself? THANKS
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #17

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a link for something like this? Have you done it yourself? THANKS
no not done it
there is a thread in this forum try a search
all you need is radio shack AA battery holders 2 of 4 x AA
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:18 PM   #18

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:

So even if you stocked up on batteries right before they quit production, they'd be useless after two years and then the camera would be a paperweight because batteries werent being produced anymore?

Could that happen? Is that what happened/will happen to the Minolta guy? (Scary thought!!!!!!)
The original Li-Ion battery on my 9 year old fuji will still accept and hold a charge. Granted, I can't just let it sit for days and have to make sure the battery is charged before taking the camera out for a day of shooting. But it will last long enough to fill the card and then some. I intend to adapt one of my Rolleiflex IR filters to it and try some IR photos.. Not quite ready to give up that 1.3Mp just yet.

2 major power consumption differences in the cameras, the fuji doesn't have an active LCD picture display (though it has a regular LCD for data), and it isn't a super-zoom. Fuji stopped supporting the battery about 2 or 3 years after the camera was released but aftermarket batteries can still be had for it.

Even if panansonic stops using this type of battery I think it's quite likely that aftermarkets will be there for quite some time. I just bought a battery for an old compaq laptop that we gave my nephew for school. The computer is older than my fuji digital camera.

In all fairness to Minalta, the guy I was talking to seemed clueless that aftermarkets even existed. If the camera store couldn't replace the exact model, it was a lost cause. His face did light up when I pointed him to a couple possible sources.

I think right now, the scare is for not.. Anyway, as Boyzo points out, there is more than one way to skin a battery pack.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote