Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:28 AM   #1

Ok, this may sound like a VERY STUPID newbie type question, but I just want to check.

Is it best to drain the battery completely, then recharge?

Or, is it best to recharge often, or say, when the battery is 1/2-3/4 full?

Does it have any impact on battery life, "memory", etc.?

I tried finding something in the manual (yes, unlike someothers, I did try before asking!!!) :-)

Thanks
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:53 AM   #2

I don't think these batteries have memory. At least that's what the place I bought my camera from told me for the extra battery I bought. It could also be that the charger drains the battery before recharging.. Any electronics I've ever bought that required a drain of the battery before charging, the manual stated that to be the case.

Jeff

:idea:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:12 AM   #3

smilez03,

The Panasonic FZ series have Li-ion batteries, these have no memory effect and can be recharged at any point will no ill effects. However it is always a good idea to never leave your battery in your camera as it may over drain the battery if left there for a long time (weeks). Also if you keep a couple of spare batteries then try to keep then at ~3/4 charge this helps extend the life of the batteries.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:39 AM   #4

the only battery types that should be drained, or nearly so, before recharging, are NiCad and NiMH cells. The lithium-ion cells in the FZ batteries can be "topped off" any time without ill effect.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:12 AM   #5

Ok good to know! --thanks all!

Perhaps this would be something helpful in the manual... or maybe Panasonic is overestimating their customer's knowledge of battery types and the way they work.

I just remember having one of thoseRC cars as a kid and they had NiCad batteries and everyone saying "drain the battery before you recharge it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I want to do lots of shooting tomorrow, unfortunately I still need to pick up another battery, perhaps a stop to b&h along the way
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:50 PM   #6

Hi, new around here, but recently had to go down the Li-Ion thing as a design engineer and needed to design a battery and charge system in to the product I was working on.

As the others have said, Li-Ion bat's prefer regular partial or full charge ups as opposed to full depletion before charge up.

Other thing to be aware of with Li-Ion, once the battery is chemically combined at manufacture it starts to fall apart. After around 24months it will have chemically degraded (no matter how much use) such that it obtains a high internal impedance redering it useless. The end result is that after around 2years all Li-Ion cells become land fill no matter how you use them during that 2years.

Regards

Stephen
cyril1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:14 PM   #7

I will vouch for what Cyril said. 2 years after I bought my SD110, the batteries would only hold a charge for about 10 pictures. Bought new ones on Ebay (cheap!) and they work fine now...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:32 PM   #8

I agree. All the more reason to buy aftermarket batteries.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:42 PM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Yes
The list price of the OEM pana battery for the FZxx is pretty
steep.
$100 in Aus.
I got an aftermarket one for less than $50 and it fits well, I think you can do a lot better on E-Bay tho'

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:24 PM   #10

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
nooner wrote:
Quote:
Yes
The list price of the OEM pana battery for the FZxx is pretty
steep.
$100 in Aus.
I got an aftermarket one for less than $50 and it fits well, I think you can do a lot better on E-Bay tho'
$12-$18 US last time I looked. Pretty cheap to avoid having a useless camera. Talked to someone in a camera shop last year who had a minolta something or other and couldn't find a replacement battery (after only one year of use).. He Wasn't happy about it..

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote