Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:29 AM   #11

Hey Nooner-you changed your picture! Where can you buy those monos? Look neat without the top piece though :-).
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:12 AM   #12

I'd check it out closer, but it looks like those feet are there just to hold the monopod up so you don't have to lean it on something. Small feet just at the base and a long pole with a weight on top(camera) have the makings of a very unstable platform.

Annoying but even the manufacturer site http://db.manfrotto.com/product/temp...mp;itemid=1815dosen't say what they are safe to use for. They do have a short recommend head guide though.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:39 AM   #13

Peter,

Thanks. I'll check it out more before considering any purchase. I wondered about the stability as you described. Also assumed you would use the 3 legged mono while taking a picture but maybe not.

Wonder if anyone on forum who has responded to this post has and does use the 3 legged model-anyone?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:43 AM   #14

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Peter,

Wonder if anyone on forum who has responded to this post has and does use the 3 legged model-anyone?
Sorry, meant to say -who has not responded-
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:52 AM   #15

I do, I have a couple of Manfrotto 3021's one with a 168 ball head the other with a 029 pan/tilt head. :-)For stationary setups the old three legs are hard to beat. The monopod is very mobile and is allowed in places the tripods are not. Each have their uses.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:28 PM   #16

not a monopod, but something i've thought of using - a dvcaddie. i use it for my videocam and i think it will do fine for my stillcam also. probably about as stable as a monopod, though not as stable as a tripod. take a look at www.dvcaddie.com.
ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:35 AM   #17

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Hey Nooner-you changed your picture! Where can you buy those monos? Look neat without the top piece though :-).
From the picture that looks like either the Expedition or Explorer model by Stoney Point. I bought one of those off Ebay for about $40 after frequently seeing hunters use them on the Outdoor Life Cable channel. The Expedition model telescopes to 65". The V-Yoke on top for use with a rifle can be unscrewed and then you can either mount a ballhead to the 1/4 x 20 threaded post, or just attach an FZ20 directly to the mounting post, or screw on one of the wood ball handles that the company offers as an optional accessory if you want to use the pole as a regular walking stick.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:24 PM   #18

That's an interesting harness Ochiruna but too costly for my purpose. Looks like it would do the job though. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:27 PM   #19

Tenshi, you are correct. I visited their web site. Different anyway. Thanks.