Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:56 PM   #1

I'm about to purchase a new digital camera. My trusty Qlympus C-2100UZ still takes great pictures but I'm looking for the higher resolution of a 4, 5, or 6 megapixel camera. I primarily take action/sports pictures and the FZ20 looks attractive for a number of reasons. I'd appreciate input from anyone who has used the FZ20 as to how well it takes sports photos. Thanks.

CotaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:17 PM   #2

There are loads of FZ2 owners in the Panasonic Forum...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

Thank you very much.

Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:55 PM   #4

Read my experiences in another thread in this section. Though there was much to recommend about this camera, I'd consider waiting for the new Sony or Konica Minolta Z5.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5

No need to discount someone else's opinion just because it doesn't mesh with yours. I spent a LOT of that week with the camera, and what I found regarding color is also borned out by Imatest data shown elsewhere. For some that amount of color skew on those particular colors may not be a problem but for me landscape sky and skin tonmes counts, and I was immediately noting it though whie balance itself seemed to be in line.

As regards gain-up for the viewfinder and the LCD, that's a gripe with some other cameras, and it seems to be immediately a probelm for anyone who shoots indoors flash shots in rooms that are only lightly or locally lit. So other cameras that have that gain-up feature are going to be way better for this type of use unless the autofocus is not up to it and they aren't comfortable wi9th using manual focus.

I am not nearly the only person who has mentioned these things about the FZ - some of them being real accomplished photo hounds. So even if I haven't shot SLR professionally for three decades plus (just video which has many similar needs for a decade or so) that hardly makes my opinion and experience irrelevant ; }

That said, if someone likes the camera and uses it, mnore power to them. I wish them many thousands of hours of creative enjoyment! Like I said earlier, there is much that is cool about the FZ series.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:30 PM   #6

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't give Greenboy's(troll) viewpoint very much weight. He had one for a week. I've had mine for 6 months and can tell you it works very well for most things. How you use the camera will affect the results as it is with any camera. Look at reviews and pics in this forum and others. Don't listen to unfounded opinions.

nooner you've seen them come and go. Personally, I find great value in your posts. I've learned more from you and other members in this forum in the last few months than in years of experimenting on my own. I've had the Fz for 4 months and still would hesitate to efficiently comment on it's abilities.But I'm learning and enjoy your seasoned comments. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:02 AM   #7

G'day CotaG, Well, I have had my FZ 20 now for 3 months...some 1300 photos later I'm still makin mistakes...why? cause I go back to what I use to do with a slr and many things dont work the same with a digi...my fault or the cameras...mine of course...and I think there are a lot of people may do the same...lack of concertration and too much of a hurry. I would not part with my FZ 20 we are very close companions, it goes where I go. Hope that helps your trouble in deciding.

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:17 AM   #8

Greenboy,
I see it as a matter of etiquette when entering in a room .....if it be reality or virtual.....filled with people with interest in a particular camera<<<That helps out others on a daily basis>>> ....and recommend another camera as stated in this thread.

It could be you have a defective camera.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the input. Always best to ask the people who know the camera best - the owners.

Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10

John G,

If someone asks opinions they don't (supposedly) just want boosterism and brand name fan club talk do they? Well, maybe they do just want a nudge to buy, and not really opinions - because if you want unblindered opinions it's tough to get them in an area that is only about that particular camera. I guess it's human nature that if you ask about a camera in a given area whoever is there will usually say their camera, the one they themselves own, is a good one. Ford Chevy Mopar. Human nature.

So maybe the person should just buy the #%$! thing if they aren't seeking opinions really anyway.

Also note that I didn't RECOMMEND other cameras - what I did was recommend ==WAITING== until those other cameras are on the market or reviewed by a reputable site so that comparisons with cameras of the same basic type can be made. Then one has a choice and maybe doesn't get stuck with a camera that's not so right for them or the particular job they have in mind for it.

I myself would find the Panasonic mildly unsuitable for sports shooting and step up in to a higher price range if I was doing that on a regular basis. It's probably a sad reality that up to now SLRs seem to be way ahead of digicams at this type of work, and frankly the FZ series isn't that good at indoor work. Maybe that's also why they didn'ty bother to even put GAIN-UP on the LCD and viewfinder. For outdoors work, I'd have to say it COULD do it for those on a budget, if they don't find its particular color biases to bother them. It's pretty fast at repeated shooting and focuses fairly quickly outdoors throughout the range of the zoom, usually, compared to other models that are *currently* available.

But if newer cameras of the moderately-priced long zoom IS class turn out to be better at shooting indoors, get better hues and color balance, or maybe have incredible burst or continous shooting, it's worth it to get one that is actually good at the job.