Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:24 PM   #11

Was barrel distorted barista 2 taken with a flash?Pretty sharp. B&W is forgiving and used very properly here. You're a wide angled black and white maltasian, with slightbarrel distortion. Rare in these parts. Wouldn't the 6600 have done as well with nobd?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:26 PM   #12

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Was barrel distorted barista 2 taken with a flash?¬*¬*Pretty sharp.¬* B&W is forgiving and used very properly here.¬* You're a wide angled black and white maltasian, with slight¬*barrel distortion.¬* Rare in these parts.¬* Wouldn't the 6600 have done as well with no¬*bd?
Nope, no flash... all hand-held, natural light. Yeah, the 6600 would have worked just as well, but I was testing the zoom-through capabilities of the 720 today. I know you know this, but the more you zoom the more camera shake becomes an issue, and the wider you are the less an issue. With a WA it becomes even less an issue, to the point where you can shoot at literally a 1/2 second ss if you're seated and steady and get an acceptably sharp image. 1/5, 1/15 no prob if you're steady... that buys you a lower iso or higher aperture, as these photos illustrate. The IS works amazingly well with it. BW helps but the colors aren't that bad either. 'bout the same.

So, you get natural light capabilities that appoach a DSLR using a different method but are constrained in that you have to use a WA converter at full wide, and motion blur of the subject becomes an issue.

Try it! Put on your WA of choice, and practice shooting hand-helds. You'll be amazed.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:40 AM   #13

I have used Pano Tools for multi row multi column panoramas but didn't think to use it for a single photo.

Good tip.

Good candids too.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:28 PM   #14

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
They're both very different WA's, Noons. The 720 lets you zoom through with decent results and doesn't vignette, and it gives you a decent increase in the view field. The 6600 buys a lot of real estate but you can only go to about 55mm before the edges get blurry, which you can't correct. It vignettes slightly on the FZ-1 but boy you can go really wide and don't need to make any corrections.

I decided to keep them both. For casual use, the 720. When I want a really wide angle lens though, the 6600. The 720 is only about $50, about the cost of a filter. wtf.

Point is, though, don't be so concerned about BD, very correctable with Panotools (and some others but PT is free) in PS.

Nick, thanks for your evaluation of the 720. I think i'm going to stick with the 6600 to start as my first WA for the FZ20. Like you say for the "price", maybe i'll get one down the road. The pics did turn out great butI don't really have the S/W tools for post processing. I only have PS elements.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:49 PM   #15

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Nick, thanks for your evaluation of the 720. I think i'm going to stick with the 6600 to start as my first WA for the FZ20. Like you say for the "price", maybe i'll get one down the road. The pics did turn out great but¬*I don't really have the S/W tools for post processing. I only have PS elements..¬* Gerry
Oh you're welcome. Here's a tip for holding the camera with a WA:

1. Hold the camera with your left hand underneath the lens barrel(!)

2. Your left elbow (...of the hand holding the camera) should be firm agaist you body if you are standing. If you are seated at a table, use the table instead of your body to support your elbow.

3. Frame using the EVF but don't hold your eye flush aganist it. Brace the top edge of the EVF against your skull above your eye, and look through the EVF from a couple mm's distance. Essentially your using your head to brace the camera to prevent shake.

4. Press the trigger to take the shot but don't release until after the camera takes the picture. Hold it in for a sec.

5. Exhale and hold your breath while you take the shot.

If you practice the above steps using a WA converter with the Lumix's IS, you will achieve acceptable shots at remarkabley low shutter speeds. Seated you can sometimes go as long as 1/2 second. You will virtually eliminate camera shake but, of course, motion blur may occur due to the motion of the subject.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:09 PM   #16

Just as another option, Paint Shop Pro will take care of distortion also. It uses a slider so it's easy to use.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:25 PM   #17

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
The pics did turn out great but¬*I don't really have the S/W tools for post processing. I only have PS elements..¬* Gerry
Gerry, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn' elements let you use PS plug-ins? If so, you can install Panotools. In either case, the 6600 is a very good WA converter lens. But (at least with the FZ1) stop, back up, as soon as you hit 2X zoom or your edges will blur.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:14 PM   #18

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
The pics did turn out great butI don't really have the S/W tools for post processing. I only have PS elements.. Gerry
Gerry, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn' elements let you use PS plug-ins? If so, you can install Panotools. In either case, the 6600 is a very good WA converter lens. But (at least with the FZ1) stop, back up, as soon as you hit 2X zoom or your edges will blur.

Nick, I spent a few minutes today searching on "Panotools" thru googleto see if it will plug into Elements but to be honest I watched the NASCAR race this afternoon. I will spend some more time on this when I get a chance. Thanks for the tips on holding the camera still also... Gerry
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:49 PM   #19

If you Elements 1 or 2 this may work to allow PS actions. I don't know if it works with Elements3.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...freetools.html
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:47 PM   #20

nooner wrote:
Quote:
If you Elements 1 or 2 this may work to allow PS actions. I don't know if it works with Elements3.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...freetools.html

Nick & Nooner, I have elements 3. Please see new thread I started on what I found in some searching this evening... thanks, Gerry