Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:54 PM   #1

"Sony has today announced the SLR-like Cyber-shot DSC-H1, which offers a massive 12x zoom and image stabilization to cope with camera shake at the long end. The manual H1 offers a 5.1 million pixels, a 2.5-inch LCD, 640 x 480 @ 30 fps movie mode limited only by the capacity of the Memory Stick (PRO) in use." Due in late June 05.

See http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

The one reason this will fail: Memory Stick

Seriuosly though, I hope it is good, the more competition the better for us

(I still love my fz10)
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

Looks interesting but a few issues:
1- As blinblue said, they use memory stick. That stuff is so expensive.

2- Lowest ISO is 100 - Noise anybody?

3- only f3.7 at tele

I also dont like Sony cameras, I seen and used a few and they just feel cheap.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4

Weight 460 g (16.2 oz) with battery, media and strap
Dimensions 108 x 81 x 82 mm (4.2 x 3.2 x 3.2 in)

About the same size as the smaller fz cameras. $500 MSRP same as fz5. I'd say they'll go head to head this summer and fall. I'd also say the fz5 will knock the H1's socks off. But which will sell more? This is Sony's entry into the imaged stabilized ultra zoom wars. Lot's of advertising and retail/department store availabilty can be expected unlike with the fz's. Pansonic better make that fz5 available in many more places than the fz3/20 were/are if they want to compete with Sony.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:20 PM   #5

It was only a matter of time. The canon pro 90 is, and olympus c2100 uz are the cameras that started it all. Panasonic's z series crushed em. Oly dropped the stabilizer. Canon's offering doesn't even compare to the leica glass on the fz3. I think we'll continue to see a steady stream of competition. I say, the more the merrier. I am not ready to give up my fz20...ever. Maybe in 3 or 4 years, when the fz50 is out and it offers iso 1600 with noise comparable to a dSLR. I'll never have the money or desire to get serious enough to go SLR, so in my opinion, I got the best camera on the market, bang for your buck, ultra zoom bliss!!!!
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

Their fake Zeiss lens is NO match for our fake Leica lens.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:20 AM   #7

if they can't maintain f2.8 at tele, they'll never beat the fz20
chinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:11 AM   #8

atkins400 wrote:
Quote:
It was only a matter of time. The canon pro 90 is, and olympus c2100 uz are the cameras that started it all. Panasonic's z series crushed em. Oly dropped the stabilizer.
The Oly´s stabilizer was software not hardware like we have. I don´t think it even could compare (my friend who has one says it makes the picture look like a video screen capture)

So even though they seemed to have Image Stabilization, It was only a feature as much as you could call digital zoom a feature.
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:12 AM   #9

lowest iso100; selftimer fixed @ 10 secs. -memory stick -largest aperture F3.7 @ tele :arrow:And, since I shoot with fz20, I'll never be able to do without a man. focus ring anymore :G
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:12 AM   #10

gmosc wrote:
Quote:
atkins400 wrote:
Quote:
It was only a matter of time. The canon pro 90 is, and olympus c2100 uz are the cameras that started it all. Panasonic's z series crushed em. Oly dropped the stabilizer.
The Oly´s stabilizer was software not hardware like we have. I don´t think it even could compare (my friend who has one says it makes the picture look like a video screen capture)

So even though they seemed to have Image Stabilization, It was only a feature as much as you could call digital zoom a feature.
Not true. The uzi used the same gyro stabizer as the pro 90. Very much hardware and very effective. Easily as effective as Panasonic's. Apparently Sony will use a gyro type IS. Effectiveness remains to be seen. I think they will have many other shortcomings to worry about. But that doesn't mean people wont buy it.