Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:55 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

Dmoss wrote:
Quote:
I dont know what everybodys problem in this thread is. Greenboy has some very valid points about these cameras. Everybody here should admit that these cameras are not indoor shooters.*They just arent.
Look, here's the deal. Every so often someone jumps on to a thread and diss'es the the camera. I consider them "ancient mariners" like from "The Tale of the Ancient Mariner" and the Panasonic is their "bloody albatross" hanging around their neck.

1. The plusses and minusses of these cameras have long been established... in the case of the FZ-20, scientific tests of cameras on the web indicate it casts slightly yellow out of the camera... a firware decision by the manufacturer. It's negligable, all cameras have various casts. Same as noise... FZ-20 is imperceptably highter noise levels as other cameras at higher ISOs.
2. They pollute legit threads and dialogs
3. Invariablely, these folks have a handful of posts jump on a couple threads, and just diss the camera. They don't add anything, they just vetch. (... see albatross analogy) then disappear.
3a. Go somewhere else and vetch. Amazon Reviews, eOpinions, etc.
4. Instead of vetching, post some samples, request or post workarounds... ADD SOMETHING! Or ask a legit question. 19 people will trip over themselves to help you out here. Go somewhere else to complain about the camera. In most cases, they take the camera out of the box, it's more camera than they know how to use, have wrong settings, take crappy pic, then jump on and complain...

Look at the posts here. Generally, the nature of them is to share a nice pic they've taken, tutorials, techniques, requests for criticism, and sometimes light OT banter. Tom's post was much different in tone and nature than what this person "added". The cast this guy refers to is not evident to me, in the 100's of amazing pro-quality pics folks post daily here on this forum.

The is an excellent photography forum, the best of the web imo, largely because it's pollution free.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:01 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
he's hails from the Isle of Malt-liqua.
Are you sure, Joe? I think you might have him confused with Little Colt 45.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:50 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
JEDinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 235
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Look, here's the deal. Every so often someone jumps on to a thread and diss'es the the camera. I consider them "ancient mariners" like from "The Tale of the Ancient Mariner" and the Panasonic is their "bloody albatross" hanging around their neck.

1. The plusses and minusses of these cameras have long been established... in the case of the FZ-20, scientific tests of cameras on the web indicate it casts slightly yellow out of the camera... a firware decision by the manufacturer. It's negligable, all cameras have various casts. Same as noise... FZ-20 is imperceptably highter noise levels as other cameras at higher ISOs.
2. They pollute legit threads and dialogs
3. Invariablely, these folks have a handful of posts jump on a couple threads, and just diss the camera. They don't add anything, they just vetch. (... see albatross analogy) then disappear.
3a. Go somewhere else and vetch. Amazon Reviews, eOpinions, etc.
4. Instead of vetching, post some samples, request or post workarounds... ADD SOMETHING! Or ask a legit question. 19 people will trip over themselves to help you out here. Go somewhere else to complain about the camera. In most cases, they take the camera out of the box, it's more camera than they know how to use, have wrong settings, take crappy pic, then jump on and complain...

Look at the posts here. Generally, the nature of them is to share a nice pic they've taken, tutorials, techniques, requests for criticism, and sometimes light OT banter. Tom's post was much different in tone and nature than what this person "added". The cast this guy refers to is not evident to me, in the 100's of amazing pro-quality pics folks post daily here on this forum.

The is an excellent photography forum, the best of the web imo, largely because it's pollution free.

Well said, Space Mountain! WOOOO! :-)
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:04 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 549
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
he's hails from the Isle of Malt-liqua.
Are you sure, Joe? I think you might have him confused with Little Colt 45.


I stand corrected. That's my neighborhood. Atlantic City's the capital of the brown bag cocktail.


Well put Nick. Thank you for "moderating".
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:20 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
beernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 293
Default

While I don't share nooner's ire, I have seen enough of your postings critisizing the FZ-20 to last me several lifetimes. You don't just post your comments and move on it seems to me. Rather you attempt to dominate the discussion with your *opinions* of the camera. So while there *may* be 100x more people who feel differently than you do about the camera,you still attempt to post as much as the rest of them combined, presumably in an attempt to artifically elevate your opinons above those of other satisfied FZ-20 users. </$.02>

greenboy wrote:
Quote:
nooner,

Sorry you don't think I'm a brand name advocate of your chosen brand. Neither am I of any other brand. I just call them like I see them. That doesn't mean I didn't have a fondeness of what Panasonic set out to achieve. I just found that FOR ME they didn't succeed entirely.

I wish anyone using the FZ series many thousands of hours of satisfaction. I might post more later ; }

PS, no need to act like an indignant phanboi - the internet already has that in abundance.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:25 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
TimvdVelde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 395
Default

I think you are giving greenboy a hard time here...

Nooner your first reactions... not very subtle. After that, I would be in a defensive position too... so The whole situations got out of hand. And 20 to 1 isn't a real fair situation. Ok the guy is a bit harsh in language.. but he ain't telling lies and he certainly isn't flaming anyone. Maybe his own camera, but who cares :G

my 2 cents ->

don't tell someone to get lost, there are better solutions
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:54 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
TimvdVelde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 395
Default

pff lighten up .. pick a midget

my 2 cents... not your 2 cents..
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:51 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
beernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 293
Default

Tim, perhaps I am being too hard on greenboy, however I base my opinion of him in part on the fact that much ofI what I see coming from him now are criticisms of the camera thathe owned for a week. Nowhere, when looking back through his posts, do I see questions or comments from him made during thisone week periodthat could have been addressed *then*. There seems to me to something a bit unbalanced there (I don't mean greenboy himself, just his actions during and after owning the camera).

He is of course entitled to post whatever and whenever he likes as long as he stays within the TOS guidelines of this forum. The camera wasn't right for him--I respect that. Posting that opinion a *reasonable* number of times with whatever justification he chooses to include will get absolutely no rise out of me.

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
I think you are giving greenboy a hard time here...

Nooner your first reactions... not very subtle. After that, I would be in a defensive position too... so The whole situations got out of hand. And 20 to 1 isn't a real fair situation. Ok the guy is a bit harsh in language.. but he ain't telling lies and he certainly isn't flaming anyone. Maybe his own camera, but who cares :G

my 2 cents ->

don't tell someone to get lost, there are better solutions
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:03 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

New question (unless there is another thread on this subject): Who has experience with using an external flash and which settings to use? Since the FZ20 does not use TTL exposure control for the external flash, it fires at full power. I have tried my Canon 380EX Speedlite and everything is way over exposed, even at 15 feet away with the P setting. Anybody has any experience in using an external flash for indoor sports?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:29 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

Rduve

take a look at the Fz10 and external flashes section on Dr. Shene's website. It should help answer your question:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:31 AM.