Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

After many tries of getting a decent looking shot with my FZ10 and FZ20 for indoor sports I have decided (which I already knew) that this realm belongs to the DSLR. No amount of what I tried gave me what I would feel as an acceptable looking shot. I do not want to use flash at all so that is not an option.

I read and searched the web over for something that could give this digicam a run for its money. The settings nooner suggested were the best but even with that I did not like the look of the shots. I saw regular P+S cameras that had better looking shots than what I got.

I was able to be as close as two feet away and well when there is not enough light for this camera it shows.

I have enclosed one shot cropped, resizedand some PP done. It was one of a handful shots taken with the onboard flash.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:16 PM   #2

Viz................I haven't had much luck with this type of shot either.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:02 PM   #3

Did you ask the guy in the background what his shots are like?
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:05 PM   #4

Ouch...I'd be seriously pissed as well. I can't understand why the FZ's can't shoot well in doors and yet the P+S's can. Where's Panasonic Bob when you need him ? There has to be some way to fix this.

Harj

:sad: :shock:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:53 PM   #5

the fz flash just doesn't pack the punch ..it took me awhile to figure this out ..along with several other things ...this is deffinitly not a point and shooot camera....
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:08 PM   #6

I realized that is does not pack a punch so I decided to try it since it would not be as distracting as if I had the sunpak 383 or some other external flash.

Using the 400 iso is terrible.My quibble is that it should not be that hard to get a decent shot under these conditions. Unless the (CCD) just can't do it to begin with.

The sports mode is for only outdoors with good light and it says so in the manual. I also found that I can't set the white balance in the FZ20 like I can with the FZ10 in sports mode. Hmm.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:09 PM   #7

What about an external flash? -- not sure if it'd help, but just a thought.
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:21 PM   #8

The idea is not to use a flash. That's where the problem starts. A dslr is really the only solution for this situation.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:22 PM   #9

This was taken without a flash, f 2.8, ISO 200, 1/15 of a second hand-held. Another example of a WA adapter (Raynox DCR 6600). It was daytime, though but there are only a few small windows. And you need slower action, and you're constrained to wide angle only but you have the pixels to crop with the FZ-20. But I would use this, or an external flash, before I would use the FZ-1's pointless on-board flash. Sorry, the B&W is all I have on my C drive. Color looks decent too.

Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:25 PM   #10

I loved the layout and menu design, histogram, long zoom quality glass and the image stabilization, but sadly because of color hue skew found I didn't particularly care for it as an outdoor shooter either. I live next door to Glacier National Park and I can assure you the skies ther are not purple during most of the day and people's skin tone does not change toward pink and magenta the moment they enter the gates...
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote