Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1

An excellent comparison of 9 different wa lens at varoius zooms. As Nick has suggested, the dcr720 seemsto be the clear winner through the zoom. http://www.overseacruise.com/digicame/fz1wcon2.htm
Alittle thorny to negotiate but gets the job done. Apparently, they are using a 52mm yoshida fz1 adapter for the 52mm raynox lenses. I think that might be neccessary to get the results shown there. Of all the converter lens, the wide angel is most affected by the distance between the camera and converter lens. You want to get that distance as close as possible. The yoshida 152 does that. The yoshida site here (click Product line) even specifically mentions the raynox converters.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2

This is a great comparison link. When you consider the cost, and how easily barrel distortion is corrected, the DCR 720 is an underrated choice. It's also very light.

I got good results at full zoom with the stock adapter and a 55 to 52mm step down ring with the 720. I'll post a couple but they're in the camera and I'm too lazy to get it out of the case and hook it up at the moment. :G

I've gone back and forth on getting a Yoshida adapter. If I do, I noticed there seems to be several choices. The 152, 155, and 295. Do you know which one would be for these 52 mm raynoxes?

Thanks,

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:00 PM   #3

Nick - The 152 is 52mm. The 155 and 295 are both 55mm. The 155 is pretty much a metal replica of the stock fz1 adapter; 55mm diameter and 32.5mm long. The 295 is 55mm and 29.5mm, thus puttingthe filter 3mm closer to the fz1 lens.

I never really gave muchcredence toleaving the wa on and using the zoom but it does appear that a few people including yourself are interested in doing just that. Here are 3 comparisons at 1x, 6x, and 12x with the fz1 (w/ 295 adapter)and the 55mm canon tc55 .7x wa converter which was not one of the lens in the above analysis. Unfortunately, the tc55 I have seems to be defective on the left side - vignetting, ca, soft focus. (I got it on ebay with its tele twin, the tl55, which is in perfect shape, thank goodness.) Nevertheless, I think these shots indicate that it might also be a contender for using through the zoom. It also has a wider capture than the dcr720 but the price of the 720 makes it very attractive.

FZ1 w/ Canon TC55 wa converter; 1x, 6x, 12x

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:35 PM   #4

Fred, thanks so much on clearing up the Yoshida adapter stuff. Getting good results, and my next photo expendature will be a CLA on a medium format film cam I bought. I know though once he's out of stock, that's it.

Thanks for posting the comparisons. I'll post some of the 720 through zoom. Getting good results. It's a shame about the Canon WA. That's how it goes sometimes with used.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote