Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:49 PM   #1

I thought high contract B&W suited this well, but am open to suggestions. :-)
Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

Hi Suze,

I really like b/w pics. To bad you wern't able to shoot without that blasted brick building in the background(looks like outside bathrooms you would find in a park:idea

Anyway the girl on the bench with the trees in the background would be a real keeper. Keep on shootin' with the b/w setting, and try to remember to look at all the background-I need to remind myself of that too, esp after I have taken the pic:roll:.

Happy :|,

norma

chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:32 PM   #3

I would have tried if possible a diff. viewpoint...

Its good to keep space in the composition for the person to look into ....
here the girls view is cut off ... a large area behind the girl only distracts... the girls face is hidden too...its also a little to contrasty highlights a bit blown.

Waiting yes I understand your intent ... I see isolation.

Observation in real life can be difficult to translate to a camera image.

A few Images to illustrate space in the subjects view and also the rule of thirds which places the subject in an optimum position in terms of focal point of interest.
They are scans from old film pics on trix.

Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:34 PM   #4

Shot in the City
Old scan from film print Trix
Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:33 PM   #5

hi suze i think the print is to big to convey what you want to express...the background takes away from the young lady...i would of loved to see more definition in the background..i think a close up of the lady perhaps looking away with the background out of focus would be emphatic of what you want to communicate ...
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6

Suze, apologies, but I just had to tell Boyzo that that second pic of the old guy is a gem.

Suze, I like the pic as is. The dissenting opinion, as always.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:16 PM   #7

There's so many interpretations you could want, so I usually steer clear of all but the most vague of technical-fixit-type suggestions if I even have that ; }

But I think I like depth-of-field effects for subject and background, which means in the image processor after the fact, doing some defocus/blurring/averaging and maybe even pulling around the luminance values on various curves too, affecting the contrast in interesting ways. You could do the "series" thing if you wanted. Then, there's selective and subtle diffused glows. I also think it could be kicky to do some duotone stuff here.

I guess it's what YOU want the picture to be that really matters. Something about Picasso talking about art supplies and not the philosophy of art probably applies here ; }
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:51 PM   #8

Personally, I like the empty space behind her. It gives the picture a more desolate feeling rather then the optomistic or insightful feeling an open space in front of the subject gives. The isolation sets a good mood. And as for the contrast, I like the emphasis it puts on the subject. Kind of a sharp 'BANG' here I am! effect. The whole composition sits well with me
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:05 AM   #9

OK everyone........please sit back and look as if your walking through the park and see this lovely lady.
First it is in black and white, one can not tell if the ground is a muddy color from rain.
IMO....If there were slippers..( flipflops ) in front of her, I would say a lovely shot and how considerate she is for not soiling the seat for the next person. I have seen that many times...and the bench is clean next to the person as I'm walking by.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:40 AM   #10

Well, there are a few different opinions here proving that we all have unique chords that are struck by specific things. The circumstances here were somewhat limiting though for including the space in front of the girl. In reality, there were literally hundreds of people on the other side - not the effect I wanted. (see photo below). However, there are a few very good suggestions though which I will note and make use of on future outings.Thanks for your input everyone!
Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote