Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:40 AM   #11

Yeah, I hear you, Tim. One of these days I'll get around to building my own website when I've taken enough pictures with a better camera.

I've went through a couple of newbie phases in the past 8 or 9 months that involved different display sizes, and just emailed or posted links to the files on my raw webspace. I already can't recall what different limits I was setting for filesize and dimension during these various periods. THere's definitely only so far you can press them and still maintain some semblance of image quality. And I hate to go below 4:2:2...
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:22 AM   #12

Hi Gerry, if you have Win XP as your OS you can download a program from Microsoft called image resizer. Its in the power toys menu. Once installed all it takes is a simple right click to resize images : small 640x480 : medium 800x600 : large 1024x768 :

Also there is an option for palm type handheld computers : 240x320 and a custom size.. It doesn't alter the original just makes a copy of the chosen size, very cool and best of all free..... Here's a link..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
dave Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:53 PM   #13

NOOOOOO NOT THE IMAGE RESIZER TOY

:?

Seriously.. that is only good for MSN icons
It gets you small size... but awfull jpg artifacts. It's about the same as 20% quality from photoshop.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:40 PM   #14

Wow, I got scared the few times I had to use 4:1:1 35 quality to meet space requirements. I can't even imagine 20...
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:14 PM   #15

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
In Elements, open a pic. Go to Image/Image Size. Make sure the Resample Image box is checked and change the Pixel Dimensions width to 640 (or 500 or 800 -640's good) and hit OK. Then go to File and Save As. Dont just hit save. You want to always hold onto the original. Choose a save level of 10 and givethe filea new name and hit save. Make sure you know where you're saving it.

Irfanviewis an excellent free downloadable program that resizes easily among other things. I use Polyview. The unregistered version does everything but print. $30 to register for a lifetime.

WOW-, thanks for all the responses! I will give elements another shot but I also have Irfanview ( i think i tried this at 640x480 and it came out at about 530K!) but it doesn't give the final file size prior to saving-bummer.. Will try various methods listed here... Thanks, gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:04 PM   #16

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
photoshop / elements -> save for web - 60%

More than enough quality. 720 - 540 px
This is the method I use too.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:14 PM   #17

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
but it doesn't give the final file size prior to saving-bummer
In Elements, go to File and Savefor Web - rather than Save As. You can use the slider to adjust the quality % and see the corresponding files size in the lower left hand corner of the image window.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:28 PM   #18

Does Elements 3 have a good printed manual if you buy the box version? Ulead's are pretty darned good. I usually just look this kind of stuff up when I'm in for some couch time. Maybe I'll upgrade from 2.x just for the heck of it, and try to get more comfortable with its working metaphors ; }