Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

One of the mostcommented onaggravations (Pany calls it a "feature") of the fz series cameras is the evf and lcd going darkunder low light flash conditions. (The fz1v2 and fz2 dont have that "feature".)

From a dpreview thread:

"I spent several hours today at the Photo Marketing Association Trade Show. Talk about a kid in a candy shop.

Anyway, I took some time to look at the FZ4&5 and must say that I'm impressed. The larger LCD screen and a few other improvements such as image orientation, are nice. And, unlike my FZ3, the electronic viewfinder and LCD do not blank out when you take a flash shot. "

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12358997
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

Finally, they listened!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:49 PM   #3

Boy, wouldn't that make a great firmware update for the FZ3/15/and 20?
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:35 AM   #4

This is from Panasonic Bob a Panasonic engineer and a member here concerning EV/LCD gain up........

"As I've explained numerous times, this isn't changable through firmware.

Sorry I can't provide a more positive response"
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:12 PM   #5

Perhaps not. "LCD and EVF don't 'gain up' in low light", according Jeff's fz5 review athttp://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml Are we still in the dark? Stay tuned.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:22 PM   #6

You're right
" One thing Panasonic didn't fix on the FZ5 is low light visibility -- the screen is still just too dark to use in dimly lit rooms." DCRP
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:36 PM   #7

Here's your "gain up". Set you back $30.
(... works great as an "AF Assist" with the FZ-1, which doesn't have the "gain up" issue...)

CameraBright! X1-R ORIGINAL Camera Lighting Accessory
Slender Beam ~6,000 Kelvin color temperature, 36 candelas of light output, 12ft range, 5ft x 5ft coverage area.
FOR: General Photography and Videography
Available in Silver or Black.
SHIPS IN 1-2 BUSINESS DAYS!!!

http://www.camerabright.com/

... they have a new one with a 20 foot range.

Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:12 PM   #8

Nick - I considered getting one of these when you brought it to our attention awhile back. It looks like a nice addition. But it's continuously lit, isn't it, unless you manually turn it off? If youcould somehow get it to light when you half press the shutter button and then go out after the shutter button is pressed fully, it would be more practical. That might be a possibiltiy with a pc cable flash connect. Does the external light have that connection option?

- Fred
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:24 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Nick -┬* I considered getting one of these when you brought it to our attention awhile back.┬* It looks like a nice addition.┬* But it's continuously lit, isn't it, unless you manually turn it off?┬* If you┬*could somehow get it to light when you half press the shutter button and then go out after the shutter button is pressed fully, it would be more practical.┬* That might be a possibiltiy with a pc cable flash connect.┬*┬* Does the external light have that connection option?

- Fred
Nah... this is low tech. It attaches to the tripod mount, the button sticks out on the right of the device facing you. You click on, frame, focus, turn it off with a flick of your thumb, snap.

Admittedly not perfect but it enables you to focus quickly where in situations where it would hunt (and miss) or not focus at all.

N