Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:11 PM   #1

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...sm-07-21.shtml
And the FZ1 is just the ticket.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:16 PM   #2

Nice column..

It's full of bulls**t but fun to read :G
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:27 PM   #3

Great article, fun read. Agree 100%! I thought DSLRS were a waste of $$$ a couple years ago. They had some advantages, and some "disadvantages", one of them being their "laughable" price. As their price drops, so does my level of distain for them. Still wouldn't buy one though. Maybe in a couple years, no great compulsion. For me... ir photography, indoor candids, street photography... the FZ1v2 with a couple WAs is "perfect". 8X10's? Fine out of the camera, a little better if you up the resolution w/ software. I don't crop much.

I agree with him on size 100%. My other camera is an Agfa folder from the 50's. Medium format, slips right in my pocket. Scan in the negatives with a $100 scanner.

It's all about portability. And yes, I ->love it<- when people say I didn'k know you were taking pictures!

Great read. Thanks.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:29 PM   #4

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
Nice column..

It's full of bulls**t but fun to read :G
What do you think was BS about it?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

Quote:
greater d.o.f. that go with the smaller sensors of digicams
My Olympus C-3040z at f/1.8 has very usable d.o.f. I haven't calculated it but my sense is that it's at least as good as f/4 on a 35mm.
The nice thing about Dslr's is that they are very lightsensitive.. So you can go upto f8 indoors... Have a larger depth of field. But the most of the time you want to isolate the object. And that's where the dslr comes out even better.. creating nice bokeh .
I see the "advantage" he mentions more as a disadvantage

Quote:
Using the LCD as a viewfinder has three main advantages:

Stealth

The ability to easily put the camera in places your head can't easily go
The ability to see the image as two-dimensional
a DSLR also has a LCD screen.. besides that.. see image as two-dimensional ?!?! just close one eye same effect.

Quote:
This grab shot portrait, taken at ISO 400 and at f/2, shows more noise than you'd get with a good DSLR. But look at the d.o.f. Try that with your 35mm zooms
Easy 35 mm @ iso 1600 + f/16
Has even less noise and twice the shutterspeed.

Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:12 AM   #6

Have you ever made a photo with a dSLR trough the viewfinder?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:04 AM   #7

No... But I imaging it's not too different from an Slr. Same type of system. It's nice.. you can see everything as your eye adjusts to the light. However, there's mirror slap... and that loud CLUCHUNK... I think the rangfinder system is better for everything other than close-up. The evf isn't bad. evf + LCD is very good too... you see through the lens without the mirror slap or parallax error of rangefinder systems. If you have an evf with an LCD that is flexible (wish my cam had this) and gains up, that's the best overall imo.

DSLRs were just overpriced. Not much value there - for me. As their price drops, their value increase proportionately but not to the point where I would buy one yet. Biggest advantage is high ISO... WA adapters are a decent work around for this though you're constrained to a fixed focal length (widest) and slow shutter speeds (1/15 - 1/20) for natural light shots where you would just set the ISO high on a DSLR. To get the zoom range and IS system lens on a DSLR would cost $1000. There's a minus. Plus there's issues exposing the CCD to dust on some models. That's a nightmare from what I understand.

The trade offs are cost, loss of zoom/is, and size. As the author states, they're plusses and minusses.

Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:49 PM   #8

Interesting article. Nick, I think you made some good points.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:26 PM   #9

Nick: Also...I have had made very acceptable 11"x14" prints from my FZ-1/2 which I have just sold. I now have an FZ-15K. The prints have competed against the guys with the big DSLRs and it held its own with ribbons and $$ won. I had been led to believe the FZ-1 was capable of only 4"x6" acceptable prints. Not so...I know I can get good larger prints and that was even without use of the tripod. I used Nikon SLRs for about 40 yrs prior to getting the little FZ-1 and it changed my attitude completely. I no longer have any film cameras. But I do have my slide scanner so I can continue to work with my 10,000+ slides. I have portfolios with my 11X14 prints from the film next to the ones from the little digital and no one can tell the difference so far.
BigTBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:05 PM   #10

Everyone has raised some good points but I honestly thing this argument is kinda pointless. dSLRs and P&S cameras fill two different niches with some overlap. If you want fast focus/startup and the ability to take photos in low light as well as very long exposures then dSLR is the way to go. If you want something that is small and flexible then p&s is the way to go. It all comes down to what the user wants, we can have discussions on it until the cows come home but in the end if a camera does what you want then thats the best camera for you be it p&s or dSLR.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote