Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:45 AM   #1

I found this in my backyard. True Christian!
Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

What do you mean by "true christian"?
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:06 PM   #3

Probably just in reference tothe cross on its back. Nothing more, nothing less.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:20 PM   #4

Raghu, nice shot. Actually i have seen a few of your shots in this forum but your compositions seem a bit off. You get really good subject to shoot but loose something in their composition. just my humble opinion. Do you read up on composition and techniques to see the shot before shooting it? If so i would highly recommend it. My only intention is to see you become even better, considering you seem to have a passion for photography.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

I argee. Most your shots either cut off the subject or suffer from exposure/focus problems. Maybe practice more and then post.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6

Thank you, Seth, for your interest in seeing me improve. May I request you, only as an input for learning I am asking you, to tell mehow this particular shot could have been composed better? I saw it sitting on a dry stick on an even drier cement platform, and I thought this was the best way to compose. I agree I cropped and resized to show the insect - sorry, arachnid! - to get seen better. I look forward toreceivingyour suggestions.

RedHouse - no hard feelings - it is bearing the cross all the time throughout its life - hence the words. Sorry if I offended you.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:53 PM   #7

Hey Raghu...ok here is what little I would have done differently. You never put the subject in the middle of the frame, its too boring and therefore the shot doesn't look interesting. Remember that this is just a rule and rules are meant to be broken, but remember to master the rule first before attempting to break it. Its the most basic rule of photography, "the rule of thirds".According to thisyou place the subject either i/3 or 2/3 of the way in the frame...going vertically & horizontally. This gives you 4 spots in the frame to place the central subject. Its hard to explain w/out any illustrations...but just do a search for the "rule of thirds" on google and you will get many hits.

Another rule states that you should not cut of any body parts of a subject if you can, it stops the gaze of your viewer too abruptly. Unless this is done intentionally for artistic reasons.

Another rule states that you should give space in the frame in the direction where the subject is looking to convey a sense of the subject looking off into the distance.

Just applying these 3 basic rules in your composition, I would have captured the entire body of the spider, including all its limbs. And I would have placed the creature towards the lower right corner of the shot.

Does this make any sense? lol...sometimes I wonder if i do a good enough job explaining in words what I am seeing in my head. There are plenty of pros out there who would do a better job guiding you. Remember to search for articles on photo composition.

Just so I don't end on a bad note...hehe...there are pros as well in this shot. The use of diagonals are always very alluring. Your subject matter also is very good and thats a huge part of a good shot.

hope this helps raghu

seth
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:38 AM   #8

Thank you so much, I have learned something today.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:26 AM   #9

raghu.....Your a very humble man, A good man I can feel this.....seth your great too for giving a great bit of advice...sorry I just felt this to be very tuching........

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:20 AM   #10

Willow thanks for that note. I agree about Raghu being a good man because taking criticism even when its expected in a forum such as this is still unpleasant. The man that learns and grows, gets better. And I have a feeling Raghu fits this category.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"seth