Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

Sony 52mm Wide Angle Conversion Lens x0.7 VCL-R0752

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

seth

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:51 PM   #2
tb1

Not familiar with the Sony WA...but I recently purchased the Raynox 720 and am very happy with it. Here are the high points (in my opinion): 1) BIG time improvement in low light hand held shots. Can get away without using flash in a normally lit room at ISO 100-200. 2) WA space is really fun to work with especially in small rooms. A whole new perspective for sure. 3) This lens has the ability to zoom through (6-8x is normally fine - start to get some edge softness above that). This is very handy if you are out and about and don't have time or desire to take converter off and on. 4) It's reasonably priced which fits nicely with the fz20 bang for the buck fun factor. 5) Fit and finish seem fine- in line with the fz. 6) Image quality is fine. I was a bit leary of adding a chunk of glass to the fz lens but I'm honestly seeing no real difference in image quality with it in place. Now you will get barrel distortion at 1x but it's a snap to correct in post processing...search this forum for info on this and more - there's a ton of info in this forum on converters.
Good luck!
tb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:32 PM   #3

Ditto on everything tb1 said about the 720. It really enables hand-held natural light photos with the FZ. The barrel distortion is easy to correct. Great value, high fun factor. Not much out there about the Sony. Looks like it was built for camcorders.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:38 AM   #4

I have the Sony VCL-0758 (the last two digits are the thread size), which is made for camcorders, so I imagine the VCL-R07 would be as well.

A weighty piece of glass (about as heavy as the FZ-20, in fact, and dam' near as big) -- very well-made.

At full wide, where it would be of most use, it vignettes quite badly on the FZ.

Good edge-to-edge resolution and no noticeable barrel distortion, but if I were buying specifically for the FZ (had it already -- since 1986) I'd look elsewhere.

I also have the matching VCL-1558A X1.5 tele converter (same vintage, and also made for camcorders -- digital stills were not around then), which works excellently with the FZ, and would work even better if I didn't shake so much.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

wow, thanks everyone for all your input. I will steer clear of this one I think. Thanks

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote