Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:58 AM   #11

Thanks for posting these shots, Gilles. I must say I'm quite surprised at the poor quality of this lens. They say it is comprised of 4 elements but to what purpose? The focus is very poor away from the center. Without a doubt, the +8 diopter raynox dcr250is far superior. It's 3 elements are put to very good use indeed. The shot below is with the fz1 and dcr250 at 12x. Clean to the edges (in poor light!). Looks to be about the same magnification as the Optica at 9x zoom.

fz1 w/ dcr250 12x zoom; resized only

[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:19 AM   #12

Thanks for posting. I just scratched the Optica macro off my list.

Sorry Marigil I don't think you wanted to hear this.
jhbaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:55 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for your views and comments. The pics were taken at F8, so the results are very poor indeed except for the centre. Pretty much everything would have to be cropped, not much good for printing quality. I took a chance and figured it was worth a try, just to see if this lens was worthed, you get what you pay for....as usual.
I will return the lens and get a dcr-250 which is the lens I had planned to get in the first place.
Thanks Fred for taking the time and posting the image of the battery with the dcr-250, that certainly put everything in perspective.
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:39 PM   #14

Hi all,

As Fred has frequently recommend to everyone on this forum and others you may want to take a serious look at the Raynox Macro Explorer set. I ordered it on Fred's recommendation and have been enjoying using the less powerful dcr-150 that comes with the dcr-250 in the set. A very good value in my opinion for about $80. I don't think B&H has the one I ordered any longer. They are listing this three piece set as a special order, but I DO NOT KNOW for sure if it has the same lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...114&is=REG

The set above has three lenses with the snap on adapter.
More info and test images at this link http://raynox.co.jp/english/35mmacc/egcm2000.htm

Thanks again to Fred for the tip:!:

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:07 PM   #15

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

As Fred has frequently recommend to everyone on this forum and others you may want to take a serious look at the Raynox Macro Explorer set. I ordered it on Fred's recommendation and have been enjoying using the less powerful dcr-150 that comes with the dcr-250 in the set. A very good value in my opinion for about $80. I don't think B&H has the one I ordered any longer. They are listing this three piece set as a special order, but I DO NOT KNOW for sure if it has the same lens.

Thanks again to Fred for the tip:!:

-Brett

I found a Yahoo store that has these in stock for about $98. I had never heard of this set before. Of course you can buy the 150 & 250 for the price of the set.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:19 PM   #16

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:

More info and test images at this link http://raynox.co.jp/english/35mmacc/egcm2000.htm
These are two different sets as the raynox site shows. The set that Brett got and the one I recommended is the cm2000 which appears to be no longer available as a set. The dcr150 (+4 diopter) and dcr250 (+8)are available separately. Do it that way and you'll have a spare clip-on adapter. I have no experience with the cm3500. I have a feeling that these may be single element lens and will result in soft edges. I dont know that, however. I do know that the dcr150 and 250 are 3 elelment lens and do an excellent job.

Gilles - Thanks again for demonstrating the shortcomings of the Optica 10x. Glad you can return it and get the dcr250.

- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:33 PM   #17

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Treemonkey, your right-those are nasty. I have the 4T on my shopping list at this point. What are your thoughts on the dcr-250 compared to the 4T? I ordered the Raynox Adaptor/filter kit yesterday and was planning on going all raynox across the board- 6600pro/1540pro but really liked the 4T pics that I have seen. Also I think the 1540pro is about to drop off my list for something else (but that's over in another thread that you have been involved in) Gerry
I highly recommend the raynox dcr-250 as I have had a lot of fun with it. It is however a very different lens to the Nikon T range. The raynox is extremely powerful and depth of field is ~1mm at full zoom, taking this into account though you can get some great photos with it but it can be difficult to use. Of course you can always back off the zoom and that will up DOF. The Nikon T range (I have the 6T) is a very high quality lens that will give very sharp photos but the magnification is a lot lower than the dcr. If I was going to buy macro lenses I would get both, they are different and good for different things.
I guess if I was going to compare the lens to a woman then the Nikon T would be the one you would take home to your mother, the raynox would be the one you take home to your father! Hope this makes sense!!

I have a few of my macro photos with my various lenses on my blog if you want to compare.

http://www.macrophotography.blogspot.com/

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:22 PM   #18

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Treemonkey, your right-those are nasty. I have the 4T on my shopping list at this point. What are your thoughts on the dcr-250 compared to the 4T? I ordered the Raynox Adaptor/filter kit yesterday and was planning on going all raynox across the board- 6600pro/1540pro but really liked the 4T pics that I have seen. Also I think the 1540pro is about to drop off my list for something else (but that's over in another thread that you have been involved in) Gerry
I highly recommend the raynox dcr-250 as I have had a lot of fun with it. It is however a very different lens to the Nikon T range. The raynox is extremely powerful and depth of field is ~1mm at full zoom, taking this into account though you can get some great photos with it but it can be difficult to use. Of course you can always back off the zoom and that will up DOF. The Nikon T range (I have the 6T) is a very high quality lens that will give very sharp photos but the magnification is a lot lower than the dcr. If I was going to buy macro lenses I would get both, they are different and good for different things.
I guess if I was going to compare the lens to a woman then the Nikon T would be the one you would take home to your mother, the raynox would be the one you take home to your father! Hope this makes sense!!

I have a few of my macro photos with my various lenses on my blog if you want to compare.

http://www.macrophotography.blogspot.com/

Treemonkey

Treemonkey, really super pics! Amazing what what someone can do with a macro when they know what their doing.. I think I understand what you mean about the differences in Nikon/Raynox. It tells me personally to start out with the nikons, learn somethings and then get the raynoxs also... Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote