Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:45 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Today I tested the Optica 10x macro lens and following are the results. Each pic indicates the pana lens tele position and one pic is a comparison with the Nikon 4t at about the same magnification.
All the pics were sharpened a bit by an Amount of 50% at a radius of 2.0, Threshold 0. As you can see all the images were relativelly sharp, better than I expected for a $49.00(us) lens. Because the Optica has such an extreme macro magnification, it bends the light and slightly distorts the object being shot, as well as softening the edges at extreme positions. Also the Optica's glass surface is 37mm and the Nikon 4t is 47mm, this causes vigneting at 3x or less with the Optica, but quite usable with cropping. Also the centre allways remains quite sharp, and since the area captured at 12x is about 7mm, this lens will be great to capture very small bugs like fruit flies and small mosquitos as well as tiny flowers.

Note: Please do not look at the colors, these were taken under various light conditions.
Attached Images

marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2

next 6x
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:48 AM   #3

next 9x
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4

next 12x
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

next 3x Optica
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6

next Nikon 4t
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:34 AM   #7

thanks so much marigil for doing these tests. They show what I expected, the lens is cheap and nasty. Those images are pretty soft at the edges and certainly doesn't compare to a lens like the raynox dcr-250. The power of the raynox is similar and the quality is a lot better.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:00 AM   #8

Could you tell us the aperture value, please? Was it F8.0? Then the Optica is very bad.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:56 AM   #9

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
thanks so much marigil for doing these tests. They show what I expected, the lens is cheap and nasty. Those images are pretty soft at the edges and certainly doesn't compare to a lens like the raynox dcr-250. The power of the raynox is similar and the quality is a lot better.

Treemonkey

Treemonkey, your right-those are nasty. I have the 4T on my shopping list at this point. What are your thoughts on the dcr-250 compared to the 4T? I ordered the Raynox Adaptor/filter kit yesterday and was planning on going all raynox across the board- 6600pro/1540pro but reallyliked the 4T pics that I have seen. Also I think the 1540pro is about to drop off my list for something else (but that's over in another thread that you have been involved in) Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:39 AM   #10

Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
Could you tell us the aperture value, please? Was it F8.0? Then the Optica is very bad.
I looked at my DCR-250 test photos again and must say that even if it was F2.8 here, the Optica performs poorly compared to the DCR-250.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote