Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:46 PM   #1

I just recieved my fz15 in the mail this afternoon and wanted to attatch the uv filter I bought and when I realized where it goes I saw there is no way to put the lens cap on. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if a polarizing filter is perhaps a all around better choice. My photographs will consist mainly of outdoor wildlife pictures and some indoor dog photos.

Thank you,

Chad
Chad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2

Chad G wrote:
Quote:
I just recieved my fz15 in the mail this afternoon and wanted to attatch the uv filter I bought and when I realized where it goes I saw there is no way to put the lens cap on. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if a polarizing filter is perhaps a all around better choice. My photographs will consist mainly of outdoor wildlife pictures and some indoor dog photos.

Thank you,

Chad
I Have an FZ10 and if you are using the stock parts you will have to invest in a lens cap the same size as your filter. It should cost about $4.00 on eBay. You made the correct choice by purchasingthe UV filter. The Linear Polarizer is a special effects filter used only on bright sunny days to enrich colors and cut back on glare from non-metallic surfaces.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:01 AM   #3

Thanks

I was hoping I would not have to send it back. It seems kind of awkward having the filter so far away from the lens. I guess I will need a bit larger camera bag.

Say, what photo software do you use? I have been using Picasa 2, but was wondering how the one that comes with the camera is? Do I have to install the one that comes with the camera or can I just stick with what has been working?
Chad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:23 AM   #4

Chad G wrote:
Quote:
Thanks

I was hoping I would not have to send it back. It seems kind of awkward having the filter so far away from the lens. I guess I will need a bit larger camera bag.

Say, what photo software do you use? I have been using Picasa 2, but was wondering how the one that comes with the camera is? Do I have to install the one that comes with the camera or can I just stick with what has been working?
I did not want to push you in any direction but now that you mentioned the FZ flaw I suggest the purchase of a 3rd party adapter. Before purchasing an adapter, you should decide what if any extension lenses you might buy in the future. This is important because it will guide you in your choice of mm mounts. For top quality, pictures do not use step rings on TCs. When you have decided on the mount, there are a few brands to choose. My design will not be available by the end of March. Here is a site, although I do not agree with all his conclusions, shows what is available http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

The FZ needs a hood at all times. Forget about the hoods offered by these vendors the Hama collapsible telephoto model is the best choice at this time. Filters are another issue that irks me. I have been at photography for 57 years and my advice is the more expensive multicoated filters although "technically superior" do not show visible results. I use Hoya series B, which have one coating on each side. The Linear Polarizer PL if you want one is less expensive, more effective and can be used on the FZ. Circular r Polarizer, CPL, designed for split beam focus systems are not needed.

You can use any PP software and if you have an SD reader, you can use that, instead of loading the CD software. I loaded my CD for the camera upload software then went into the OS control panel and removed the rest. I use a PP product called PhotoImpact by Ulead. It has more bells and whistles and I need to get more into it. The release of my new product is absorbing 80% of my waking hours so time for this is a future.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5

Here's a good free image editor with lots of plug-ins and tutorials.

http://www.photofiltre.com/

Read thru this it may answer some of your questions

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote