Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

As many have recently argued, the gap between dSLR and FZ series (indeed with all Point and Shot cams) increases when high ISO sensitivities are implied.

Yet, unless the light is so low not to allow for ISO 400 Action shots (which need times not ltoo longer than 1/100), IS O200 and 400 are fairly useable as many of you have shown.

It's only a question of not surrendering (either with camera in hands, or with PP capabilities).

Many of you do behave with their "FZ jems" as my dog in the pics below would with his bone.
I understand you. And I also understand those who "diss" FZ by its issues/faults, as color shifts/WB/dynamic range/metering/flash.
Most of these can be if not avoided, at least corrected with PP, although some would like to have fine pics with no PP effort.
With such a camera and price, not to have the mentioned lacks would mean -adding perhaps a ISO 50 like noise level and less WA barrel distortion- to really have the perfect camera. So I know that these lacks can be irritating, especially for they can be missing in cheaper P&S cams.

But I am obviously avoiding the Praises here.
Which would need too many lines and words more. Let the pics tell the story. I have seen marvellous things from FZ10-20 and sisters.

ISO 200:

Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2

ISO 400 (and High Satur, Low Sharp) - NR is High by default in ISO 400 shots even if I set it to LOW.
Both the pics PP, NR applied in the blue channel, and sharpened. Originals were 3Mp not 5.

ISO 400 (both notgreat shots, but neitherto throw away. Just to show high ISO and 5min PP)
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3

I agree that these cameras are excellent, and many of the inherent weakness can be overcome by learning how to use it well and applying good post processing procedures.

BTW - great pics
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:30 PM   #4

I think those are quite good ... Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I am not real fussy but I do not see a noise problem with these cameras, especially the one that gets the bad rap The FZ20.

I did need to use Neat Image quite a bit on the low light FZ10 photos but hardly ever with the 20.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5

G'day narmer........whats the dog foxy or chihauhau.....if I didnt know better I'd ask what ya doin wiff my dog Benji, and you sure as hell aint goin to get the bone off him.....thanks for sharing your findings

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6

Thanks to all.

Really my Lara gets very hungry and angry when one tries to take the bone off of her.
It is like an addicted person when she's got those bones.

No as I often repeat, even if FZ10-20 would be nearer to perfection with less noise, their issues are other ones.

But with a 432mm stabilized lens, I can forgive the slight color casts/shifts and the problems with high Dynamic range scenes (with bright sun).
Who's asking for perfection will have to pay something more than 550€.

Nar-mer
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:49 PM   #7

Great shots... mind sharing your noise reduction techniques?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:08 PM   #8

Contrarily to what I do with low ISo, at ISO 400 I apply NR to the 5Mp image before resizing it and sharpening.

The good thing to use a NR Photoshop plugin, rather than a self standing prog, is that I can laso apply it to selected zones only, or to single channels.

At high ISo the blue channel is the noisiest one, the green always fine.

Also one can diminish the effect of the NR (partial undo) or totally eliminate NR effect in some zones.

I use the last Noiseware plugin. It doesn't seem to work much worse thanNoise Ninja, although this one has a more complex interface and looks more serious with auto profiling atc, but I have the latter one in a demo ver. (2.0.3) so it applies a grid.

Sorry not to be able to be more detailed, Nick, but it's late and tomorrow morinong I'm going out for an excursion in the peninsula of Sorrento (the cape west of Amalfi and Positano).

Francesco

PS
Have you haver been here Nick, or in Sicilia?
If not, I'll show them in these days (next month we'll probably go onto Etna too).
Hope weather will be fine.