Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:44 PM   #11

Thanx for all the replies and ideas... I'll still have to wade through all the options... the taxes and duties will proly rape me good if i order from the states... I've been dinged a couple of times before ordering things through ebay, but nothing this expensive... The warranty offered is usaually good for ALL north america (go free-trade!):?

I'm begining to think that all these amarican online shops are not selling new cameras... how could they? Canada and the US are deep into free-trade, NAFTA and such... what the cost is here is usually not to far off down there... I don't know...

Hey Blue Moon,
"ButterflyPhoto does not ship internationally,nor do we accept international credit cards"

Hey Hazzarbone,
Sorry to hear about that... I suppose it is kinda good being so close to the yanks...

Hey jsiladi,
What I'm asking is if anyone knows where I can find an FZ20 fer cheap to cheaply ship to the Great White North...

Hey guaz,
Love the ToshirĂ´ Mifune with an FZ... Go Akira Kurosawa! B&H Photo seems to my weapon of choice, but again I'm afraid of the duties... And it's the FZ20K that I want, not silver...

Hey smilez03,
From all of this, I think I'm only confident in order from completely reputable companies... like Best Buy and such... what other big box electronics places do you guys have down there?

Thanx again to all!
Hitman X
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:55 PM   #12

Hitman, call Canada Customs and explain the situation, and ask them what the duties and taxes will be on the camera. At least that way you have a starting point to see what the actual difference between a Canadian purchase and a cross border one would be.

Also, where are you in Canada? Any chance you could take a day trip across the border and buy one in person? I believe the Canadian warranty is much better than the U.S. one, so that may also be built into the price.

Keep us up to date, let us know what happens.

And if you hadn'tnoticed, some of the American members on this board may not appreciate being called 'Yanks'
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:40 PM   #13

Worst case scenario, you are going to get dinged the taxes (GST/PST), which you would have paid at Henry's anyway. But, the 15% is going to be on a lower CDN value (~$660CDN vs $900CDN), so you'll save an additional $36 in taxes alone.

You'll also need to look into the possible duties associated with the camera, which will depend on where it is made.

The big thing to watch-out for is BROKERAGE FEES....UPS is notorious for these! Hopefully, the US company will ship to Canada via USPS, where you'll only be charged the taxes, duties (if applicable) and a flat $5 fee. With UPS, you'll be charged all that, plus their nice little brokerage fee. Trust me, you don't want to have any part of UPS!

M.
onespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:43 PM   #14

Given price, duties, and taxes, it might be worth a drive to the states if you're near the border. Have a little fun along the way. Just a thought.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:53 PM   #15

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
Thanx for all the replies and ideas... I'll still have to wade through all the options... the taxes and duties will proly rape me good if i order from the states... I've been dinged a couple of times before ordering things through ebay, but nothing this expensive... The warranty offered is usaually good for ALL north america (go free-trade!):?

I'm begining to think that all these amarican online shops are not selling new cameras... how could they? Canada and the US are deep into free-trade, NAFTA and such... what the cost is here is usually not to far off down there... I don't know...

Hey jsiladi,
What I'm asking is if anyone knows where I can find an FZ20 fer cheap to cheaply ship to the Great White North...

Thanx again to all!
Hitman X
An email aquaintance found a black one at Adorama earlier in the week, recieved it yesterday via UPS. They may still have them and be willing to send it to you.. Check your Private messages for the rest of my reply..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:56 PM   #16

Just heard that B&H had a warehouse fire which resulted in the loss of all the inventory stored there.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:04 PM   #17

Somebody's selling a "mint" FZ20 on www.photo.net (check the Classifieds and search on Panasonic). The asking price is $500, which is what they go for new at B&H. I bet you could get it for a good deal less.

That's if you're willing to go used, of course. Buying from an individual certainly gets you around a lot of tax and customs issues, though.
Virginia Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:33 PM   #18

Check out... http://www.dunneandrundle.com/ in Vancouver. They will dicker down a bit.

I bought mine from London Drugs and they met Dunne's price + more.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:40 PM   #19

Do I have to say this...buy the FZ1 on ebay. Our friends here have certainly proven you don't need to step up to the FZ20 price to achieve great things. Had I realized, I'd have spent the extra $$on lenses or shoes.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:54 PM   #20

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
Oh man do I ever want an FZ20!!!

I've been reading forums about it for almost 16hrs today alone... I think I know EXACTLY what I want...:-)

The only problem: IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE UP HERE IN CANADA!!! The only reputable place I can find is Henry's (www.henrys.com), and they sell it for $899 CAD!!! (thats $725 for you yanks) No other store sells the darn thing... I know to well that buying online often leads to high shipping, all sorts of duties, so i'm sure about that way... thats even if they ship to Canada (circutcity does not)...

OMG :? Help please!!!

I saw one in London Drugs yesterday for $799 Canadian. You can buy on line with them. londondrugs.com Cheers...thekman.

There are a lot knowledgble people here, at least one of them has to be Canadian!!! Someone please help!! :?
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote