Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1

Spent time sneaking up on a pair this afternoon. Got within 60 feet or so and they had enough. Shot a couple pics before they were gone. Once in awhile the TCON-14B has the FZ20 "hunting" for focus.Lately Imanual focus when using it. This shot is a hair off. Used aperature priority at F5.6 at 12x (around 17.5x with tele).
Attached Images

mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

looks good. Did you post process?
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3

Yes, Unsharp mask in Paint Shop Pro. Rotated it a little too as the river's edge was a couple degrees off from horizontal.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:52 AM   #4

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5

Nice picture. The exposure looks pretty good given the all white nature of the Swan. It tough to get good detail throughout the whole bird. I like it.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

Mhansen, when you say "hunted" for focus could you say what focus mode that you were using at the time? Spot, etc... I have a 14B coming this week and inquiring minds would like to know any problems/work arounds, etc... Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7

I was using the smallest center autofocus setting. I have the FZ20 set to manual focus and pull the button down to let the camera do one autofocus. I then tweak it with the focus ring. I have a few pics I've taken using just autofocus with the 14b that seem soft. In some situations the camera while trying to autofocus goes way in and then way out and then finally comes close to focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maybe I should try the larger center autofocus setting. Hmmm. Anyone have any other suggestions using the same tcon-14b?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BTW, I am pleased with this lens. Even if I had to manual focus EVERY pic with it, the $ difference over the Panasonic version is worth it in my opinion. Theextra $can be used for other stuff: good tripod, filters, etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mark

http://public.fotki.com/mhansen/
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:26 PM   #8

mhansen wrote:
Quote:
I was using the smallest center autofocus setting. I have the FZ20 set to manual focus and pull the button down to let the camera do one autofocus. I then tweak it with the focus ring. I have a few pics I've taken using just autofocus with the 14b that seem soft. In some situations the camera while trying to autofocus goes way in and then way out and then finally comes close to focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maybe I should try the larger center autofocus setting. Hmmm. Anyone have any other suggestions using the same tcon-14b?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BTW, I am pleased with this lens. Even if I had to manual focus EVERY pic with it, the $ difference over the Panasonic version is worth it in my opinion. Theextra $can be used for other stuff: good tripod, filters, etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mark

http://public.fotki.com/mhansen/

Yes, the $ difference is HUGE! I just couldn't talk myself into that one:-). I think I have on order most everything I want now and it doesn't come to the price of the Pana lens itself... Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote