Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:13 PM   #1

I have about a week left to return this FZ10, if I need to. Have been seeing this weird treatment of deep color and shadows in a variety of shots; can anyone say what might be the trouble?

In the attached shot of flowering yucca, you can see it in the shadowed portions of the green leaves. In the next shot of boy holding dove, it shows up in the shadows under his right hand.

I see this in about half the shots I take with this camera. So far, I've been thinking it's the result of messing around with program shift and incompatible manual settings. However, the shot of the boy was completely auto, and I am positive the yucca shot was within normal parameters: macro, on suggested exposure, MF. I have others that look almost the same (in terms of that granulated shadow) that were shot at 3X zoom, all manual settings.

Until last week I had been using an FZ1 with incredible success and saw no aberrations in color, shadow, or DOF whatsoever. I'll be happy to post some of those for comparison or others of the bad shots I've gotten with the FZ10.

Any thoughts? (BTW, I've been reading this forum for months and have learned an awful lot. I hope one day to have something to give back.) Appreciate the help very much!
Attached Images

Virginia Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:38 PM   #2

The Yucca was shot at ASA400
you are seeing noise on the leaves, this is normal with ASA400 and this camera.
You clean it up with a noise removal program.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:23 PM   #3

Read up on photography in general so you know what you're doing. It's not the camera
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:46 PM   #4

Boyzo, thanks for the helpful feedback on this and my other sample shot. I completely overlooked the ISO setting.

However, it seems that noise is pervasive, no matter what the ISO. In these two samples I set manually to 100 and 400. I could also post dozens of other samples with even more noise where ISO setting was AUTO.

While not new to photography, I am a digital neophyte. I don't much like the idea of taking photographs that can be expected to be noisy (and to need noise removal). The FZ1, as I noted, never manifested this problem. Are there other FZs, such as maybe the 20, that are less noisy?

(Any excuse to return the FZ10 and spring for the 20 would be fine with me....)
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:06 PM   #5

Virginia Beck wrote:
Quote:
Boyzo, thanks for the helpful feedback on this and my other sample shot. I completely overlooked the ISO setting.

However, it seems that noise is pervasive, no matter what the ISO. In these two samples I set manually to 100 and 400. I could also post dozens of other samples with even more noise where ISO setting was AUTO.

While not new to photography, I am a digital neophyte. I don't much like the idea of taking photographs that can be expected to be noisy (and to need noise removal). The FZ1, as I noted, never manifested this problem. Are there other FZs, such as maybe the 20, that are less noisy?

(Any excuse to return the FZ10 and spring for the 20 would be fine with me....)
I use the FZ1 and try to use ASA50, with the FZ10 / 20 use the lowest ASA when possible ie ASA 80, are you buying the FZ10 or 20 both are fine, most peeps in this forum use them and are very happy with them, noise does not come up much at all as problem.
Correct exposure and focus are important, some fine tuning of settings may help too the ie proceesing of the file in the camera may have a bearing... others may advise as the FZ1 has only minimum settings.
Of course read the manual

Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:21 PM   #6

I had to send my FZ1 in for repair (lens fogged inappropriately)--it won't be back til after the wildflowers are gone, so I took that as permission to buy a second camera. This FZ10 was used and a bargain, so I started out hopeful and suspicious too.

The FZ10 has everything I need (basically, manual exposure and focus), and I'd certainly prefer not to spend the extra cash on the 20. It's just so easy to keep wanting more.

Maybe all that noise is coming from massive experimentation with manual controls. I'm not convinced--seeing a whole lot of it, really.

Your input has been really valuable. Thank you.

AND PS: How could you tell exposure and ISO on those posted shots? Magic??
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:32 PM   #7

You also used f8 and pattern metering. Read up and work on your settings. The camera is not much different than the FZ20 so buying another one won't help. The FZ1, which you probably shoot with in the heart mode, is probably what you need as it seems you are more of P&S type shooter. The camera is very capable if you know what you're doing.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:56 PM   #8

Virginia Beck wrote:
Quote:
I had to send my FZ1 in for repair (lens fogged inappropriately)--it won't be back til after the wildflowers are gone, so I took that as permission to buy a second camera. This FZ10 was used and a bargain, so I started out hopeful and suspicious too.

The FZ10 has everything I need (basically, manual exposure and focus), and I'd certainly prefer not to spend the extra cash on the 20. It's just so easy to keep wanting more.

Maybe all that noise is coming from massive experimentation with manual controls. I'm not convinced--seeing a whole lot of it, really.

Your input has been really valuable. Thank you.

AND PS: How could you tell exposure and ISO on those posted shots? Magic??
the files EXIF data shows that.
right click on the file in windows XP advanced
there are programs around also,
Get IRFAN view its free

Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:56 PM   #9

Occassionaly there is a wee bit of noise with the ISO at 100 as well. If you set it to ISO50 on the FZ10 there should be no noise at all.

Harj

:idea:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:30 PM   #10

Good deal--I'll working on bracketing ISOs tomorrow, just to see. I haven't been digital for long at all and some things haven't filtered yet into consciousness. (Plus it does pay to be suspicious of a good used deal. Since it is almost always a contradiction in terms.)

And Boyzo, looks like for once the PC has the Mac on the ropes. No right click info for me. No Irfanview. Checking out something called ACDSee now. We'll see.