Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:23 PM   #1

Here is my first attempt using the macro setting on the FZ20. This is Ralph, we got him from a garden designer friend. He currently resides in our basement.
Attached Images

torgrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:01 PM   #2

Sorry, but it's underexposed, out of focus and should be resized to 720x540. 1/4 sec probably handheld. Leads to blurring.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:04 PM   #3

Hey torgrot...there is a lot of noise and seems like a lot of post production work has been done on this shot. I think it takes away from the original composition

seth, IMHO
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:19 PM   #4

Take the "coleous or something" out of the basemant and ino the direct sunlight. Kitchen window is fine. Zoom in about 2x and focus on the leaf from about 3" away. Move the camer closer ofr further. To get the most out the fz series macro you need an add-on close-up/macro lens (ex, nikon 4t, 6t, oly b-macro). That will let you focus from within 12" throughout the zoom. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm

You wont need the flash in direct sunlight.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:13 PM   #5

Ok, the camera was on a tripod under fluorescent lites, no flash with the timer. I did do some work on it. The camera had a great deal of difficulty focusing. I had tried to take a picture of the bud on our tulip tree yesterday and couldn't get the camera to focus at all. After reading the manual, I set the picture up. I appreciate the feedback. Here is the original. Only resized.

P.S. Ralph almost died last winter when he was upstairs near a window.
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:48 PM   #6

Try it without the tripod. It looks like thers's enough light. Put the camera in macro mode at iso200. Using the lcd to view, put the camera lens to about 2" from the leaf and half press the shutter button. If there is enough light you should see that leaf fill about half of the camera lcd with good focus. Finish the shutter button press and take the picture. You will do better if you view through the view finder. This will put the camera close to your face and body and increase the stabilty of the camera. The OIS cant do it all. Practice. The best thing to practice on is a coin or piece of jewelry in good light. Once you get your focus distance(s) down, youuse the same distances and technique with any subject.Focusing is the hard part and will be more easly learned handheld vstripping over your tripod.

In bright sun light you should be able to use iso100 without the tripod. That will decrease the noise.

Practice in as much light as possible. No flash.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:25 PM   #7

Try manual focus, adjust with the focus ring as best as possible then fine tune by moving the camera closer/further. Using the 2 sec shutter delay can reduce shutter shake too.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips. I will practive some more. Here is the exif data for the shot

File Name
P1000055.jpg
Camera Model Name
DMC-FZ20
Shooting Date/Time
2/27/2005 3:59:20 PM
Tv (Shutter Speed)
1/4
Av (Aperture Value)
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Image Size
2560x1920
Flash
Off
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
2064KB
Owner's Name

Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:35 PM   #9

torgrot wrote:
Quote:
Tv (Shutter Speed)
1/4
Needs much more light.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:07 AM   #10

You can use the internal flash with a white card attached to bounce the flash for improved lighting. I bought a Vivitar 283 and Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for about 50$ total (eBay deals). Having the external flash allows you a greater range of lighting,

The internal flash can produce good results but you can get shadowing of the lens barrel that external flashes eliminate.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote