Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:59 AM   #11

pggunn wrote:
Quote:
The IR photos I've seen on this forum are giving me FZ1 lust.
You better hurry up if you want to satisfy that lust. Still some good deals in the $200-250 range.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:38 AM   #12

Hi Everyone

Can one shoot Infrared shots with a FZ 20??

Besties

dyu
dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:36 AM   #13

dyu_d wrote:
Quote:
Can one shoot Infrared shots with a FZ 20??
The internal ir blocker is stronger on the fz3/10/15/20 than on the fz1/2 resulting in much lower quality ir photos with the later fz cameras.Below is a comparisonof the fz1 and fz20 using the hoya r72 infrared filter. wb set manually through filter, iso200, 1/15s, ev -2/3, handheld. I wouldn't go so far as to say the fz20 is totally useless for ir. Using a tripodwith exposure times 1-2 sec at iso 80 might give marginally acceptable results. The r72 filter is around $40. Try it and see what you think.

FZ1 w/ hoya r72

FZ20 w/ hoya r72

Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:39 PM   #14

fmoore, I hope you don't mind too much but if you do, I'll take it down..

I've been hoping someone would do what you did.. Compare the 2 cameras.. I don't know what if any post processing you did with the FZ20 photo but I downloaded, in photoshop, Auto levels and below is the result. Perhaps a little noisier but I don't think it's anything that a program like Neatimage wouldn't take care of..

Jeff
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:07 PM   #15

^^^Not bad at all. The issue, however, is that you will have to shoot with extremely long shutter speeds. Cameras with IR blockers, block 70% or more of the infrared spectrum. It would be comparable to shooting indoor infrared candids. It would be exactly like putting on a filter that only lets 30% of the "normal visible" spectrum in.

Is it possible to get a decent shot? Yes.

Will it be easy? No...

Is it worth it? I don't think so, personally. Up to you.

Since you're also shooting outdoors, you will also suffer from motion blur. There should be virtually no breeze or the foilage will blur badly at 1 second and above shutter speeds.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:10 PM   #16

surreal shot, very nice subject.... composition ....

amazing effect InFrared

FZ1 sure is cool for it.

Great shot Tom

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:15 PM   #17

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
^^^Not bad at all. The issue, however, is that you will have to shoot with extremely long shutter speeds. Cameras with IR blockers, block 70% or more of the infrared spectrum. It would be comparable to shooting indoor infrared candids. It would be exactly like putting on a filter that only lets 30% of the "normal visible" spectrum in.

Is it possible to get a decent shot? Yes.

Will it be easy? No...

Is it worth it? I don't think so, personally. Up to you.

Since you're also shooting outdoors, you will also suffer from motion blur. There should be virtually no breeze or the foilage will blur badly at 1 second and above shutter speeds.
I'm well aware of these issues.. In fact, when I want to do closeups with my film cameras of the roses in the back yard, I have to wait for an 85 degree day with absolutely no breeze (my roses don't come out til mid June). Just as I get everything into focus, what happens.. A breeze comes along.. Nice feeling but it screws up the photo..

I'm actually considering an FZ1 just for the IR.. Question.. Is the FZ1v2 just a firmware update? Is it simple to do or should I have it done somehwere?? I've read that if you do it yourself (with other manufacturers) and mess it up, you have an expensive paper weight.. Don't need more of those.

Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:21 PM   #18

I agree, Jeff. I think the later fz series ir can beuseable with pp. I hope some fz3/10/15/20users can see their way to getting the hoya r72 and experimenting. I got the 55mm for $35 at http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ They have them anywhere between 49mm and 77mm. Larger diameters are more $$.

- Fred
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:27 PM   #19

Jeff...........The firmware update is real easy to do and only takes a few minutes. The real problem may be finding a FZ1.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:34 PM   #20

nice work Jsilada

very
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote