Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What Brand do you favor? (Macro/Wide/Tele)
Raynox DCR-150,250/DCR-720/DCR-1540 4 50.00%
Canon 250D/WD-55/TL-55 0 0%
Olympus MCON40/WCON-07/TCON-17 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1

If you were inclined to select only one brand of conversion lens to compliment your FZ1/2, 3 what brand would you pick? There is obviously no reason that would force you to do this but if you did want to stay with only one what would you do.

I have been reading a lot of post and compiled my selections for an inexpensive group from three manufactures that cover; macro, teleconverter and wide angle. I have tried to match the performance across brands as well as I can and also keep the total cost ownership in the same general range from about $250.00 to $320.00

I'm personally inclined to stick with the Raynox brand but I just wanted to see what others might think.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:34 PM   #2

Also keep in mind that Raynox has the DCR 6600 wide angle adaptor, among the top tier of WA's available. But why stick with only one manufacturer?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:35 PM   #3

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Also keep in mind that Raynox has the DCR 6600 wide angle adaptor, among the top tier of WA's available. But why stick with only one manufacturer?

Hi Nick,

I can't really say that there is any good rational reason to limit yourself to one brand of lens. I have seen on the various forums people expressing an interest in having an all Raynox or Olympus set of lenses. I guess you could just look at is as one of those funny things people do. Why do some people feel they need to have other things all match (golf balls same brand as the clubs for example)?

I do think that if you have had a good experience with one manufacture you are more likely to go back to them again for additional products. Maybe that is the reason I have seen the posts.

Personally I love the Raynox macro lenses that I have. The information on the DCR-720 that you have posted, as well as others, leads me to believe that I would also be happy with that lens and for the price I don't see anything that will beat it. So, if I'm going to get a 55 to 52 step ring I may as well get the Raynox 1540 and then I can just leave the ring in place if I want to change from wide to telephoto.

-Brett
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:00 PM   #4

Olympus gets my vote, one of the reasons being thatthe onesyou listedare all 55mm and thus don't require a step ring with the fz1/2. (I have the b-macro rather than the mcon40.) That being said, I have the dcr250 and consider it a great lens but it's kind of special. (Raynox doesn't make a +3 diopter macro lens in the 52mm-62mm range.) I have the Canon tl55 and it is an excellent lens (also 55mm) - my wc55may be defective. Without a doubt, Raynox has puttogether a fine selection of digicam add-on lens, as have Canon and Olympus. I wouldn't feel any need to stick to one brand, however.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:11 PM   #5

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

Hi Nick,

I can't really say that there is any good rational reason to limit yourself to one brand of lens. I have seen on the various forums people expressing an interest in having an all Raynox or Olympus set of lenses. I guess you could just look at is as one of those funny things people do. Why do some people feel they need to have other things all match (golf balls same brand as the clubs for example)?

I do think that if you have had a good experience with one manufacture you are more likely to go back to them again for additional products. Maybe that is the reason I have seen the posts.

Personally I love the Raynox macro lenses that I have. The information on the DCR-720 that you have posted, as well as others, leads me to believe that I would also be happy with that lens and for the price I don't see anything that will beat it. So, if I'm going to get a 55 to 52 step ring I may as well get the Raynox 1540 and then I can just leave the ring in place if I want to change from wide to telephoto.

-Brett
I have no problem with your lens selection I might have selected different ones. I do suggest that you stay away from step rings they degrade performance. I get the feeling that you already own a 55mm adapter. Why else would you opt for a step ring? Why not get the Raynox adapter I think they are $18.00.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

So, if I'm going to get a 55 to 52 step ring I may as well get the Raynox 1540 and then I can just leave the ring in place if I want to change from wide to telephoto.

-Brett
I have no problem with your lens selection I might have selected different ones. I do suggest that you stay away from step rings they degrade performance. I get the feeling that you already own a 55mm adapter. Why else would you opt for a step ring? Why not get the Raynox adapter I think they are $18.00.
I am speaking in the context of the FZ 1/2 and for myself the 3. There is only one adapter currently available, the one that comes with the FZ. Yoshida has one on the way but it is not shipping yet. Still it will be 55mm.

-Brett
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:34 PM   #7

I mostly went for Olympus, but the 62mm thread lenses (TCON 14b, WCON 8e. I got the Nikon 6t for macro).

For me the choice was lens thread size, not brand. The TCON was my deciding factor because the reports that I read here and elsewhere all indicated that it had the least vignetting (I was wanting to avoid always needing 12x or digital zoom). Since that lens is 62mm my choice was made - all other lenses were chosen with 62mm threads. With a Phayee adapter I ended up with a selection that works well for my needs and desires. I need no step adapters with this setup.

It is all personal choice what size threads you go with and what brand. It is easiest to stick with on thread size and with some of the smaller thread sizes vignetting becomes more of an issue- you decide what is important for yourself.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:36 PM   #8

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
[b]NickTrop wrote:The information on the DCR-720 that you have posted, as well as others, leads me to believe that I would also be happy with that lens and for the price I don't see anything that will beat it.
It's really a sleeper, the 720. This lens, more than any other, totally changes the dynamics of the camera because it's one of the few that truly allow you to zoom through. So (don't quote me on the specs...) You change your camera from a 35mm to 410mm focal length, to a 26mm to (around) 320mm(?). Point is, the 12X zoom is "still there", but you start with a field of view 38% greater that the standard lens provides. The trade off is on the max zoom side but 320mm is still a tremendous zoom. With the 720, you get the best of both worlds, very good wide, and (still) excellent tele capabilities.

Now, the wider you are, not only the greater view field the less impact camera shake has (reverse is true as you zoom out. camera shake results in blur...), which is the main reason it's difficult to shoot in natural light without blurring. Adding this adapter, when used in conjunction with the camera's IS system, really allows for natural light shots at iso's of 100 and 200 (usually f 2.8 but whatchy gunna do) at ridiculously low shutter speeds, hand held. 1/15... 1/10 even 1/2 second. Takes practice, though.
The lens doesn't vignette, stays sharp in the corners, and works well with an 55-52 mm step-down ring. I think people get put off by the barrel distortion but that's a quick-n-easy correction in PS or PSP. The lens is also nice and light. -> Note you MUST use an external flash with any WA adapter, as it will cast a shadow using the on-board only <-

It's now "part" of the camera. I leave it on at all times.
I like this WA adapter, a lot.
__________________________________________________ ___

Fred makes a good point regarding Oly and 55mm.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:57 PM   #9

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

So, if I'm going to get a 55 to 52 step ring I may as well get the Raynox 1540 and then I can just leave the ring in place if I want to change from wide to telephoto.

-Brett
I am speaking in the context of the FZ 1/2 and for myself the 3. There is only one adapter currently available, the one that comes with the FZ. Yoshida has one on the way but it is not shipping yet. Still it will be 55mm.

-Brett
Sorry I missed that, then I would wait for the Yoshida and get 55mm mount TCs.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:41 PM   #10

Really great discussion you guys. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. There is so much information out there on lenses that it can get really hard to filter it.

Lovelife, I am keeping an eye on the Yoshida. With the excellent piece of work mounted to my FZ3 I would have no concern at all about using the larger/heavier tele lenses that are 55mm.

To be honest one of the reasons I was leaning to the Raynox 1540 is because it seems to be a nice compromise between the TCON17 and the TL55 in size, weight and quality. One of the things that drew me to the FZ3 was the smaller size, it feels a little funny to think about putting a large lens on it.

I figured going from 55 to 52 was not that much of a step and would hopefully not impact the optical quality or the vignette to much on the FZ3.

-Brett