Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1

Hello everyone!!

I finally had a little spare time to post my first photo with my new FZ20. This is "Chester" our 8 month old puppy/dog and my 1st. "guinny pig" subject.
He is 1/2 Yorkshire Terrier, 1/2 Schnauzer. Straight out of the camera except resizing it down to 720x540 and saving it for web in PhotoShop. I know, your not supposed to center your subject, but I live by the edge of my seat. I want to thank everybody in this forum for all their valuable information and experiences. I have been surfing around this forum and other camera forums for about two months trying to decide on my next camera which wound not cost me my first born. After reading numerous Q/A it was obvious to me that this was the camera for me. It's true what I read, the only way to take a bad photo with this camera is to shoot an ugly woman.

Ok! I decided to take both of your advice and submit Chester the 2nd with a blurred background and a simple crop leaving him off center. Thanks

TheHartster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:18 PM   #2

Chester is going to get so tired of you and the camera he's going to run when you get it out... Great guinea pig though.. If you want a short peice of advice, the background is a little busy behind the dog. Look up Tims tutorial on blurring the backgrounds with photo shop and it'll improve photos like this one 100 fold.. In my opninion anyway.. That's not to say it isn't a great capture, it is.. But the pooch should be the star.. You can take care of the centering thing with some selective cropping.

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

Nice dog! Nice pose! Nice tongue!

If you cropped to just includeChester and his shadow, then hey presto - he's off centre (a little) and the background is less ... insistent. Or at least there is less of it.

Got my FZ3 today. 12x zoom and OIS is REALLY GOOD!

(by the way - I live near Chester... Chester, England)

alandavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4

Hi jsiladi

Yes! I totally agree with you about the busy background. I did not want to do any other post processing other than resize just to show that even an idiot like me can take a decent photo with the FZ right out of the box.:G
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:58 PM   #5

WOW!! Your right..... Chester, England is just a hop, skip and jump (into a plane)away from Lancaster Pa.