Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

I ran some tests to compare the difference between using the tcon17 alone and the tcon17+ the Tl-55. There's some vigneting, but not excessive and with approx. a 1000mm combo lens the results are not bad at all.
Attached Images
 
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

Here's 45ft
Attached Images
 
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

Here's at 100ft.
Attached Images
 
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Thanks for the post, Gilles.I assume you stacked them witha 72-55mm step-down ring to the front of the tl-55 to accept the tcon17. Is that step ring a permanent fixtureto the tl-55. The tl-55 vignetts at about 3x-4x with the fz1 (maybe a littlehigher with the fz20). Does that stepring cause vignetting at higher zooms? I like to have the option of backing off on the zoom with the the tl55 attached for framing and I'm concerned about that front step ring getting in the way.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

Hi Fred,

No, I didn't want to add anything permanent to the lenses in case it would damage them or cause problems. I also wanted to place the tcon17 first, because it was the most powerfull of the two lenses and I also thought that because the tl-55 has a larger rear lens, it would reduce the amount of vignetting. So, I made a simple adapter from a sewer pipe cover, some velcro(fuzzy side) and a step down ring.
The pipe cover was 2 inches high so I cut it down to 3/4in.
I cut a hole in the middle with a circle bit 1mm smaller than the step-ring outside tread. I sanded the hole opening until the ring would fit tight. I then set the ring in place with clear silicon. The inside of the sewer pipe was 82mm so I linned the inside with velcro to reduce the diameter and fit snuggly over the front of the tcon17's 80mm. It seems to work well.
see pictures bellow.....
Attached Images
 
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

next 2
Attached Images
 
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Excellent, Gilles! Udaman! 82mm - 55mm step down ring? Where did you get TAHA?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

Hi Fred,

Thanks Fred, glad you like it.
The step down ring I used is a 62mm to 55mm, I could of used a 58mm to 55mm but I allready had the 62-55.
Sorry for my ignorance Fred, but what is TAHA.
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

marigil wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance Fred, but what is TAHA.
You're not the ignorant one, Gilles. That was a failed attempt at the word THAT.

I see now it's a sewer pipe COVER. I didn't read it closely the first time. Did you use a hole saw bit? If so, what diameter to get 61mm? Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 102
Default

Hi Fred,

Got it Fred, you should see my typing before I do the corrections, looks like a new language.
To get 61mm the diameter would have to be 30.5mm, I think??
I'm not sure you will find anything exactly that size.
I used a circle bit cutter, it has a main shaft with a bit at the end and then an adjustable arm with a cutter at the other end. I did it with a hand drill, but had to take it real easy.
You could use a hole saw bit like the ones used to mount door hardware or even a key hole saw. If you cant find one with a large enough diameter, use a 58mm to 55mm ring instead of using a 62mm to 55mm ring. Make sure to measure the diameter of the ring first before cutting the hole or compare it to the cutting bit. Cut the hole smaller and then using a rounded file or rough sand paper work the diameter up until the ring fits tight.
**The important measurement is finding the centre of the sewer pipe cover, especially if you are using a circle cutter or a large hole saw bit. Once I had that, I found that drilling a small hole 1/8in before using the larger bit helped keeping things centered.
Also, you could centre your step-ring on the cover and draw a line around the ring and then use that has a guide to cut the hole smaller.
Just a note:: Before installing the step-ring permanently as well as the velcro, I sanded and spray painted the cover with a flat matte paint.
Hope these suggestions help....
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:50 PM.