Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:26 PM   #11

5 inches max? Ok, that's going to be great for super close ups. I think I will check out something like the Nikon 6t for shots I can take from 20" away and zoom in closely.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:21 PM   #12

Thanks, Genece. I did find the macro attachments. I will try it on the FZ20 when my Raynox adapter arrives. I also ordered the DCR-250 for super macro. I am thinking about keeping my Canon G5 and canceling the ebay listing since I love the swivel screen for wildlife macro shots.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:16 PM   #13

I called BugEyeDigital to upgrade my order. Now I am getting the Adaptar tube withthe protective filter and polarizing filters, the DCR-250, and a set of three magnifying lenses (I think +2, 4, and 5 diopters) which can be used individually or stacked. That should take care of my macro needs. Whole thing cost me $130, not too bad.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:20 PM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The fz macro cops out at ~3x zoom. Theaddition of even a +1 diopter close-up lens will give macro capability throught the zoom. (Btw, you dont have to be in macro mode with the close-up lens.) The dcr250 is an excellent lens but very powerful, exhibiting a very shallow dof even at f8; ~1mm. It also vignetts below ~6x zoom. It is probably not the best choice for a general use macro lens. You will be better off with one of the dual element +3 diopter lens such as the nikon 6t (62mm), 4t (52mm), or oly b-macro (55mm). They will give you greater dof and, in addition to the increased magnification, you will be able to focus at ~12" from the subject which will help with shadows, bee stings, etc. The dcr250 focuses at about 4" distance. It is a 3 element lens and does a very nice job with the fz series. I'd get my feet wet with one of the +3 diopters which will be quite sufficient for bees. You may want to eventually step up to the dcr250 for smaller insects. I have the b-macro and the dcr250 and use them about 50/50 with my fz1. With the fz20 you have much more crop room. With a +3 diopter you can getbetter dof and crop to magnify.

- Fred

Fred, I ordered a set of three add on lenses (+1, +2, and +4 Diopters) made by Kenko from BugEyeDigital.com for $23.95. Are you saying that with those lenses I should be able to zoom up to 12x standing back about 3-4'? That would be beautiful because right now the camera has a big dead zone which affects a lot of the shots I would be taking. I found a review about the camera (the FZ10 in this case) pointing this out as its weakest point: http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic...m#imagequality.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
I ordered a set of three add on lenses (+1, +2, and +4 Diopters) made by Kenko from BugEyeDigital.com for $23.95. Are you saying that with those lenses I should be able to zoom up to 12x standing back about 3-4'? That would be beautiful because right now the camera has a big dead zone which affects a lot of the shots I would be taking. I found a review about the camera (the FZ10 in this case) pointing this out as its weakest point: http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic...m#imagequality.
As you increase the diopter (power) of the lens you decrease the focus distance.

[align=center]Focus distance in meters= 1/diptor[/align]
With a +1 diopter lens you will focus at 1m or 39"; +2 diopterat about 20"; +3 at 13"; +8 at about 5". You will be able to take "macro" shots from 3' away but dont expect much magnification.

The limited macrocapabiltyis a "weak point" with the fz series but easily overcome with excellent results using agood qualitymacro lens.The +3 diopter dual element lens are the most commonly used for this purpose. The +1, +2, +4 sets are single element lens and will exhibit soft focus away from the center. The dual element lens flaten the focus to the edges. The dcr250 has yet a third element and it is put to very gooduse.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:59 AM   #16

Very helpful. Thank you.I guess after all this I will break down and also get the Nikon 6t you recommended. Where does it attach to? Right over the camera's lens? Or should I get the the 52mm 4t which would fit onto the Raynox lens tube I just ordered?

I just wish I would not have to carry extra lenses around and would just have a camera that does what I need it to do.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:47 AM   #17

If you get the Raynox adapter, get the Nikon 4T lens, not the 6T -- it's the 52mm version and screws straight on.

B&H have them at about $36, and in the US their shipping is affordable.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:48 AM   #18

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Where does it attach to? Right over the camera's lens? Or should I get the the 52mm 4t which would fit onto the Raynox lens tube I just ordered?
Removing the lens ring from the fz20 will expose 64mm male threads. The rt5264p tube adapter screws onto those threads. The 52mm female threads at the front of the adapter then accept the nikon 4t threads.To attach the 6t (which has 62mm threads) to the rt5264p requiresa 52mm-62mm step-up-ring. The 4t is obviously the better choice using the raynox adapter.

The clip-on adapter that comes with the dcr250 can also be attached to the front of the rt5264p. OR, there is enough of a lip on the end of the extended fz20 lens housing to accept the clip-on. Just be remember to turn the sleep mode off so the lens wont try to retract with the clip-on connected. Most people just leave the tube adapter on continuously - with a uv filter -for lens and extension housing protection.

Quote:
I just wish I would not have to carry extra lenses around and would just have a camera that does what I need it to do.
Do you know ofa camera that will take decent macro's from 3-4' away?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:43 AM   #19

Thank you for all your help. One last question: Won't the step down from 64 to 52mm create a tunnel effect? Will I have the full field of vision even if not in telemode if I use the 4t?

Regarding your question if I know of any camera that would take decent macros from a couple of feet away, see the article I referenced earlier, the FZ10 compared toan Olympus c720. This "dead zone" seems to be a unique weak spot for the FZ's and I hope they fix it next time (when they also add the swivel screen, larger Fovean X3 CCD,the gain-up viewfinder in low light, super macro-mode such as the Canon Pro 1) and Panasonic will have the perfect camera. Regardless, I am still very happy with it, and I will order the 4t lens today.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:36 AM   #20

rduve wrote:
Quote:
One last question: Won't the step down from 64 to 52mm create a tunnel effect? Will I have the full field of vision even if not in telemode if I use the 4t?
The diameter of the fz20 lens is about 49mm. The52mm filter end ofraynox adapterwill not cause any vignetting. At wa (1x zoom) there is no vignetting with the 4t attached. The dcr250 being only 43mm in diamter will vignett below ~6x zoom.

I have the oly c2100 which has macro capabilty throughits 10xzoom as does the c720. At 3' from the subject (which is as close as you can focus in macro mode with the uzi) the horizontal capture is about 4.5". IMO, that is not much of a macro. I agree that the fz series inability togive macro functionality through the zoom is a short coming but, IMO,a macro lens is going to be needed anyway. I use the oly b-macro lens withmy fz1. I originally got it toincrease the macro capabilty of my c2100. It did and it does.

At any rate, the setup your getting should satisfy almost all of your macro desires. Have fun and post some shots.