Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:57 PM   #1

I went on a photo shoot yesterday with my new FZ20 and was a little disappointed with the ability to take macro shots. I wanted to take close-ups of bees, and lizards, flowers and so on. Definitely missed the swivel screen and the teleconverter/macro ring combothat I had on my Canon G5, my previous camera. With the Panasonic, the macro range is not close enough once I used the zoom. And obviously an insect won't hold still if you put the lens an inch in front of it. Also focusing was tough since I could barely make out the image on the screen in the heavy sunlight and the EVF was hard to get to in certain angles.

I did some research and it seems like the Raynox DCR-250 might be the answer (it won't replace the swivel screen I am used to but I guess I will get more excercise by getting myself into contorted positionsfor the sake of the perfect shot :-)). Does anybody have experiences with it? How bad is the vignetting? Isn't the step down to 43mm too extreme to allow wide angle close up shots without the lens interfering and creating "tunnel vision"? Does anybody have sample shots? Please share your experiences. How do the MSN-200 and MSN-500 compare? I think they are for super close-up shots. Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:11 PM   #2

The fz macro cops out at ~3x zoom. Theaddition of even a +1 diopter close-up lens will give macro capability throught the zoom. (Btw, you dont have to be in macro mode with the close-up lens.) The dcr250 is an excellent lens but very powerful, exhibiting a very shallow dof even at f8; ~1mm. It also vignetts below ~6x zoom. It is probably not the best choice for a general use macro lens. You will be better off with one of the dual element +3 diopter lens such as the nikon 6t (62mm), 4t (52mm), or oly b-macro (55mm). They will give you greater dof and, in addition to the increased magnification, you will be able to focus at ~12" from the subject which will help with shadows, bee stings, etc. The dcr250 focuses at about 4" distance. It is a 3 element lens and does a very nice job with the fz series. I'd get my feet wet with one of the +3 diopters which will be quite sufficient for bees. You may want to eventually step up to the dcr250 for smaller insects. I have the b-macro and the dcr250 and use them about 50/50 with my fz1. With the fz20 you have much more crop room. With a +3 diopter you can getbetter dof and crop to magnify.

- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3

this is a shot i took with the dcr250..this is a ganubian leaper..i got off three shots with my trusty fz before he started charging me ..lucky my camera bearer threw himself between be and the leaper before he could attack .i watch in horror as the ganubian injected his venomous poison in my caddy ...he screamed in agony as the spider's fangs went deep in his throat..without regard for my safety i grabbed the caddy and drug him to safety as i beat the leaper back ..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4

Jazz............you're my hero:|
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:37 PM   #5

Jazz i want whatever you're doin'.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6

Great shot, Jazz. How close were you to take that shot? How far back can you use the DCR-250? Can you take a shot like this from, let's say 5-10" back, zooming in?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:44 AM   #7

Thank you, this was very helpful. That reminds me that I have a macro attachments that I had bought for my Canon...shoot now I can't find it anywhere with a 52mm thread. If I do find it, how do I attach it, or how would I attach the Nikon 6t?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:34 AM   #8

The Raynox site has details of the lens (along with sample pics from the FZ20) as well as illustrates the universal adapter for the DCR150 and DCR250, 52 to 67mm.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz10/index.htm
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:31 AM   #9

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, this was very helpful. That reminds me that I have a macro attachments that I had bought for my Canon...shoot now I can't find it anywhere with a 52mm thread. If I do find it, how do I attach it, or how would I attach the Nikon 6t?

The Raynox adapter would be about the perfect way to attach it to the FZ20

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...y-rt5264p.html

And the Phayee adapter would be perfect fot the 6T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3865219929

And either adapter or any other makewith step rings will work
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:30 AM   #10

rduve wrote:
Quote:
How far back can you use the DCR-250? Can you take a shot like this from, let's say 5-10" back, zooming in?
5'' is themaximum distance.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote