Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:55 AM   #1

i'm not buying new lens soon cause i first need flash, extra memory card, etc etc. but i'm wondering once i decide on buying the polarizer and the lens, which adapter should i use? should i just buy one specific one and then buy all my lenses and filters to work with it or should i buy them in different sizes? give me all advice and explanations you can please, very confused with adapters and step rings and whatnot:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2

Max, have you seen this forum?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I have just bought my fz20 and remember that this one had more information than I could take in in one go. I'm looking at buying a UV filter soon and have returned to this forum to follow up. Hope it helps you too.
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3

When I made my decision it was based on which lenses I was planning on buying, I made my filter thread size choice based on the thread size for my chosen lenses.

I did not want to have to deal with any more adapters than absolutely necessary. There were a couple of reasons for this approach. First, I did not want to add any extra lens-filter distance. Second, I did not want to have to keep track of which item used which adapter.

I ended up with a tele, wide angle, & macro that all use the same thread. I also have a UV filter & linear polarizer that are the same size. Now when I want to switch configuration it is very quick and simple.

BTW I ended up with the Phayee adapter and 62mm thread for all lenses & filters.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
When I made my decision it was based on which lenses I was planning on buying, I made my filter thread size choice based on the thread size for my chosen lenses.

I did not want to have to deal with any more adapters than absolutely necessary. There were a couple of reasons for this approach. First, I did not want to add any extra lens-filter distance. Second, I did not want to have to keep track of which item used which adapter.

I ended up with a tele, wide angle, & macro that all use the same thread. I also have a UV filter & linear polarizer that are the same size. Now when I want to switch configuration it is very quick and simple.

BTW I ended up with the Phayee adapter and 62mm thread for all lenses & filters.
i'm not so sure on a wide angle lens, but i definetively want to get a tele and macro lens and i want uv, nd and polarizer filters as well. so you think getting the phayee would be a good choice? when you say "phayee adapter and 62mm thread" do you mean you got the 62mm phayee? cause it sounds like you've got all the gear i might want to get so if its good for you it should be good for me too
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5

I use the Phayee also. It only comes as 62mm.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:24 PM   #6

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:

i'm not so sure on a wide angle lens, but i definetively want to get a tele and macro lens and i want uv, nd and polarizer filters as well. so you think getting the phayee would be a good choice? when you say "phayee adapter and 62mm thread" do you mean you got the 62mm phayee? cause it sounds like you've got all the gear i might want to get so if its good for you it should be good for me too
Phayee comes in 62mm and requires a step ring for 55mm. Forget about their hoods. The only hood that gives protection up to 250mm is the Hama hood.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:38 PM   #7

What I mean is I decided I wanted the TCON 14b because of personal impression of numerous reviews and comparisons I read here & elsewhere - the TCON has a 62mm thread - so I looked for adapters and other lenses & filters that had 62mm thread as well.

I decided on the WCON 8e wide angle & the Nikon 6t macro because they were both good performing 62mm thread lenses. I decided on the Phayee because it has 62mm threads (indeed it is only available as a 62mm thread, Rong sells other step rings that do not add too much distance, I have not used them).- there are other adapters with 62mm threads that apparently also perform well - this forum is full of comments on the various types.

Filters were last on the list, because they are available in just about any size that you might pick for a tele, wide, or marco lens.

There are a bunch of people with 55, 58, or 62mm size lens, adapter,& filter combos - all happy with their setups. To me the goal was to avoid any additional step up/down adapters with my setup - while getting good quality optics.

Ther is no one answer, you need to think of what you want, read the forums, & make a choice.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote