Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:37 PM   #11

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Whether the LSII is worth $40 is another story entirely.* I think to me it will be, but to each his own.*
I don't disagree (about the $40...). Well worth it if the results are there. Can you put gold or silver inserts in it? If not, that would be a drawback. Looking forward to your posts.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:44 PM   #12

Good luck. I'm just telling what I've experienced first hand, not from some reading.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:08 PM   #13

Click archives... here's a way to make your own Lightsphere.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/160119
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:36 PM   #14

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Whether the LSII is worth $40 is another story entirely. I think to me it will be, but to each his own.
I don't disagree (about the $40...). Well worth it if the results are there. Can you put gold or silver inserts in it? If not, that would be a drawback. Looking forward to your posts.

Great question Nick and the answer is I don't know. I read on some of the reviews of the LSII that people had posted where people said something to the effect of, "I want to put some colored foil on the back half of my LSII to see if the color cast can be controlled." However, I never saw any test shots where someone had actually done this. From what I've read of the LSII description inserting foil, the way you can do with the Lumiquest Pro for example, would be strictly a do-it-yourself operation.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:45 PM   #15

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Click archives... here's a way to make your own Lightsphere.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/160119

Yes, I'm a fredmiranda member too and I saw that post. In fact I've seen posts describing several variations involving all kinds of DIY Lightspheres. As I said in response to this on another forum, I certainly am no professional photographer and I don't care in most cases wth anybody thinks about the way I look and the LSII is certainly not going to win any beauty contests itself I still can't see running around with a half milkjug/alcohol bottle/tupperware/whatever taped to the top of my flash. From what I've read, and perhaps I'm just being sold a load of ****, the LSII material was specifically designed to properly diffuse light. I have no idea if the other DIY LSs will do as good or even better than the original but it is only going to cost me $40 to find out.

DISCLAIMER: I do not not work for Gary Wong, I do not have any financial interest in the LSII, I could not care a lick if anyone from here buys one of these or not. I just wanted some feedback from some actual FZ users who might have actually used an FZ. Perhaps I will be the guinea pig.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:50 PM   #16

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Good luck. I'm just telling what I've experienced first hand, not from some reading.

Thanks nooner, I really appeciate the firsthand feedback.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:21 PM   #17

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps I will be the guinea pig.
Thank you for piquing my interest today. I've been looking at diffusers and DIY's as a result of your post but decided on the Lumiquest 80-20 with the pro-kit that has white, silver, gold, and frosted deflectors. Just ordered it.

Reason is that for most indoors stuff you do need a diffuser of some sort - makeshift or otherwise. They're not super expensive and really improve shots. I hate the harsh lighting and shadow from a flash. I also think it's especially important with digitals since they're so prone to blow out highlights.

I read some posts about the Lightsphere falling off easily and having to be secured with electrical tape. Also, someone compared it to the Lumiquest, and I was hard-pressed to see a difference between the two (the "tigger" post if you've seen it...) diffusers in the test photos. Also the bulk of it was a concern, and frankly it's appearance. Looks like a tuppaware bowl.

Since the Lumiquest 80/20 with the different color deflectors seemed to be the most versitile, I went with that one.

... seems like you will be a Guinea pig, unfortunately. But thanks for posting this thread, which prompted me to do a little homework.

...that said, I also read some posts of folks who swear by it. Curious to see what your thought are when it comes in, if you order it.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:32 PM   #18

Wish you the best. At least we got Nick to spend some more $$. I'm gonna PM his wife and give her the good news:idea:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:03 PM   #19

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Wish you the best. At least we got Nick to spend some more $$. I'm gonna PM his wife and give her the good news:idea:

NickTrop seems to be having a "good" day. No nonsense about clams, anyway.

Oh what the helll, eat, drink, buy photo gear, and be merry. Tomorrow we may taken off the board.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:09 PM   #20

You're right about that Goldar:arrow::arrow::!::!::arrow::arrow:
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote