Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:28 PM   #21

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Wish you the best. At least we got Nick to spend some more $$. I'm gonna PM his wife and give her the good news:idea:

Nick has a wife? Does she know? :-)

Thanks for the good wishes - I will try and repay them by posting some comparison shots ASAP.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:22 AM   #22

Well I received my Lightsphere II and while I haven't done much testing with it yet, what I have done I really like. Here is a very low light shot (the first one I even tried with the Lightsphere and my Sunpak 422D) that came out pretty well.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:26 AM   #23

Here are a few comparion test shots. The first is with the onboard flash on the FZ-20. The second is with the Sunpak 422D fired directly at the subject from about 6 feet away. The third is using the Lightsphere II with no dome and the flash pointed at the ceiling. I will do some comparisons with D.I.Y. Lightsphere clones in the future to see how they compare, but for now:

Onboard
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:27 AM   #24

Sunpak 422D
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:27 AM   #25

Lightsphere II

This one is certainly the most true to life color-wise. The carpet, for example, is tan and the door is off white in reality.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:21 AM   #26

Great test shots. I've been fooling with it too and have gotten some really good results. While it's pricey relative to the material costs, and some insist on DIY diffusion solutions, I don't think they can compare...

1. Directing exactly 20% of the light toward the subject, and bouncing 80% really does produce the best non-studio lighting, indoors. My experience with straight bouncing is it's great when it works but it sometimes properly exposes the upper part of the frame but the lower part is 1/2-stop underexposed. Also, while it reduces harsh shadow and hotspots it can be too flat. Directing 20% of the flash output produces some nice specular highlights and brightens the subject just enought to help isolate it from the background

2. If the ceiling is too high, you're screwed. So, you put the white insert card in.

3. The frosted diffusion screen works well and can be combined with the white, gold, and silver inserts for a lot of creative choices regarding lighting...

You can't really do all this, with a DIY solution.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote