Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:43 PM   #1

A Lightsphere II is Gary Fong's globe-like flash diffuser. I really like the results I've seen but unfortunately my current flash, the Sunpak 422D, is not on the LSII's supported list of flashes. Can anyone report any first-hand use of the Lightsphere with one of the FZ cameras? Has anyone found an alternative LSII flash specification that will fit the Sunpak 422D (which is essentially the same as the Sunpak 383 super and the Sunpak 433)?
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:45 AM   #2

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
A Lightsphere II is Gary Wong's globe-like flash diffuser. I really like the results I've seen but unfortunately my current flash, the Sunpak 422D, is not on the LSII's supported list of flashes. Can anyone report any first-hand use of the Lightsphere with one of the FZ cameras? Has anyone found an alternative LSII flash specification that will fit the Sunpak 422D (which is essentially the same as the Sunpak 383 super and the Sunpak 433)?
Here is a link to the Lightsphere II site in case anyone was unsure wth I was writing about.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3

This looks like a great accessory, something I would buy/try. Likewise, my flash is not supported. However, there's got to be a way to rig it to work. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4

Kinda odd there is no contact email on the page to ask questions. I don't know....seems expensive.
The tests are pretty questionable. I use the Omni-Bounce and I get results much different than what he shows in his example. I'm sure he set it up so his product would look good. I think if it was a hot item you'd see guys like BH Photo, etc. carrying it. If you've got $40, to drop let me know how you like it.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5

After doing a little research, I've concluded a diffuser is a dffuser. Here's a respected brand that supports virtually all flashes, around $20 apiece

http://www.stofen.com/Store/Products.htm
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6

That's exactly the unit I use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=52714&is=REG
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7

nooner wrote:
Quote:
That's exactly the unit I use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...714&is=REG

How's it work? Much improvement?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:53 PM   #8

It works great for me. Gives a more evenly distributed light. I have colored ceiling and walls so bouncing casts a hue. With diffusion I don't get color cast plus I can use various angles of bounce. It does cut flash out put so you need to compensate.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:27 PM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Kinda odd there is no contact email on the page to ask questions. I don't know....seems expensive.
The tests are pretty questionable. I use the Omni-Bounce and I get results much different than what he shows in his example. I'm sure he set it up so his product would look good. I think if it was a hot item you'd see guys like BH Photo, etc. carrying it. If you've got $40, to drop let me know how you like it.
f
You have to search for it but it is [email protected] . He has so far been VERY responsive to my email requests.

I ordered one that would seem to be closest in size to my Sunpak 422D and Gary offered to let me try it out and return it if it won't fit so I really can't lose. As I said, I did look at the Omnibounce and some of the Lumiquest products and I searched just about every internet photography forum I could find for comments about these type diffusers. By far, the best results shown, IMO, were for the LSII. To me, $40 is trivial if I can get semi-professional lighting effects from my $37 flash unit.

I will post some test shots once the LSII has arrived, assuming it will actually fit my flash.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:30 PM   #10

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
After doing a little research, I've concluded a diffuser is a dffuser. Here's a respected brand that supports virtually all flashes, around $20 apiece

http://www.stofen.com/Store/Products.htm

I'm not disputing your research but I've seen many examples done by different photographers using various diffusers posted on the net that illustrate clearly, to me at least, that all diffusers are not created equal. For the record, I did A LOT of research before coming to this conclusion.

Whether the LSII is worth $40 is another story entirely. I think to me it will be, but to each his own.