Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1

Hi all, first time caller long time listener.

Thinking about buying a DCR-250 Macro lens thru ebay, has anyone had any problems buying lenses thru ebay? ie scratched lens ect..
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2

Write the seller a note, describe exacly how you want it examined. Tell him to shine a light through the lens and look at the oppisite side (both ways). If he sees white lines to tell you.. A LOT of people don't know (or say they don't) what a scratched lens looks like. For the most part, I've had good luck but there's always one.. I wouldn't buy from anyone who states "I know nothing about cameras".. A lot of times, that should be a MAJOR RED FLAG....

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and helpfull info.:-)
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:53 AM   #4

My only problem was with an auction business that basically sold peoples goods on consignment (dealtree).

They posted a description of a TCON 14b and delivered a TCON 14 (inside a TCON 14b plastic wrapper!). I then had some problems returning the lens and getting credit (but eventually it worked out). Although they never admitted to their error , I believe it was an unintentional labelling error on their part. This would be an example of the problem of dealing with someone who does not know about cameras.

I have since bought all my lenses from individual sellers on eBay and have been satisfied with all my purchases. There are some great deals on damaged box Olympus lenses there too.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

actually most of my lens have come from ebay in one way or another. The damaged olympus package but brand new lens that you are talking about is another that I bought, the Oly C210 for $25. I was worried about how damaged the package was, but when it arrived there was not a scratch on anything (i knew the lens was new but i was expecting the package to be damaged but even the package was perfect). I guess they were just selling them in bulk. I have had no bad experiences on ebay thus far.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:24 PM   #6

Wombat wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, first time caller long time listener.

Thinking about buying a DCR-250 Macro lens thru ebay, has anyone had any problems buying lenses thru ebay? ie scratched lens ect..
I got my DCR-250 from an individual eBay seller and got a decent deal. No issues, as-good-as-new condiditon. Your mileage may vary.

I've purchase 80% of my camera gear on eBay and never had a problem. The only issue is that sometimes auction fever results in prices that rival or exceed the cost of the same item new from reputable retailers. Pricescan any item first to get a sense of the range for the item.

For certain gear, and lenses fall into this category, don't discount our friends in England who are willing to ship overseas. My "eBay" tip of the day.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote