Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1

This might sound somewhat stupid, but take a read............

I wanted to take some shots of the snow coming down last night. I decided against it because I was worried about moisture getting into the camera,especially when the lens retracts back into the camera when shutting off.

Should I be VERY concerned about this? Is there anyway to take photos with the FZ20 in snow/rain/etc.?

(You know, when droppingsome cashon a newsetup... you don't want to blow it in 3 weeks!!!!!)
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:36 AM   #2

I use a Phayee adapter and a UV filter mainly to keep stuff off the lens. Moisture hasnt really been a problem. I take a lot of snowboarding photos and I have taken my FZ-15 into som e very harsh conditions. I took it to the peak of a mountain where the winds where extremely strong and the snowfall made visibility about 2 feet. My camera bag filled with snow the second I opened it. My camera was quite wet after that, and I took out the battery and made sure the camera and the battery were fully dry before I tried to turn it on, but it wasn't damaged. I have also been completely covered by snow while taking pictures of snowboarders dropping into powder bowls, or jumping down small cliffs, with tiny avalanches behind them. In my opinion if you are going to take pictures in harsh weather, these are the cameras to do it with. Theres comfort in knowing you don't have to go out and spend 1800 bucks to replace your camera if something happens to it.
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:53 AM   #3

If you're really worried about rain etc, but want to get out and shoot, put a filter on the end of whatever tube adapter you're using, punch a hole in a clear plastic bag-put the camera in the bagwith the lens (filter) poking through the opening and put a rubber band around the tube to hold in place. This is the hobo's version of a waterhousing. I've done this a few times, and it works just fine. How can you tell I'm Scottish? :-) Cheers.........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:56 AM   #4

Hi

Remember, every time when you swith on/off, the camera pumps air in or out. This happens becausethe volume of the body increases/decreases caused by the moving glass.

The glass is sealed(hopefully) to keep moisture and dust away from lenses when zooming.

br,
lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:18 AM   #5

I have shot a lot under falling snow 2 weeks ago.

No problem. Only, thoughit was not so cold, I kept my FZ20 under the coat, so when it got out it once condensed on the UV protection filter. But I could remove it for it was not snowing anymore

The snow on the camera body is not a problem like rain, but I guess it is always risky, and better to avoid it.

Francesco/Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:28 AM   #6

Good to know there's a bit of tolerance here. I got caught in the rain with my FZ yesterday and was a bit nervous :shock: actually stood under a mostly leafless tree for a half hour, after which I had weathered the worst of it unscathed. I was virtually a tree hugger :blah:
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:56 AM   #7

That's not so bad...you should try getting caught in the rain and having to hug a cactus...(:
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:59 AM   #8

static wrote:
Quote:
That's not so bad...you should try getting caught in the rain and having to hug a cactus...(:

Once again, the silver lining reveals itself :lol:
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:35 AM   #9

After reading this thread and going about my day I remembered something I had learned a while ago....

Going inside after being in the cold is not very friendly for electronic equipment. When the camera is cold, then you go inside to a warm moist place, the moisture comdenses on the camera- including inside- anywhere air can get in.

If it´s possible, leave your equipment a bit to get warmer before you start playing with it....

That said, I personally don´t wait, BUT there IS one place I wait. In our zoo, They have a tropical rain forest area and it is REALLY moist in there. When you come in, your glasses fog over right away. They even put hand dryers like you see in a public restrooms, to unfog your glasses.

One day I went in there with my previous cam (an OLY c700) and after turning it on, I couldn´t see anything because of the condensation INSIDE the camera lense. That was the last time I eagerly whipped out my cam to try to take pictures of the cute manatees. I leave my cam in the camera bag until I´ve walked through that part of the exhibit now.
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:37 PM   #10

I don't remember where I read it but if you have your camera out in the cold it was recommended to put it in a plastic bag before going into a warm area. This keeps the condensation off the camera and on the outside of the bag. I now keep a large zip lock bag in my day camera bag.
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote