Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:34 AM   #11

Personally, I would go with the 07 (.7X vs .8X focal length...), and I think you're getting a real sweet deal at $105 WCON 07 + adapter. Going from memory the WCON 07 alone usually goes for around $110US, slightly more than the Raynox 6600. I don't have the WCON 07 but it is known to be one-of-the if not THE best. You generally can't go wrong with Oly.

Bottom line... very good deal, very good WA. Go for it, imo.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:51 AM   #12

WOW! Thanks for your instant reply Goldar. If you don't mind I'm going to take advantage of your presence and ask a few more questions that are just slightly off topic. Hope you, or another member, can help.

He also offers a 62-58 step down ring. Not sure which lens goes with that.

He offers a OEM DMW-BM7 battery. Does any member have any experience with batteries from Rong Jin?

An 'original Olympus macro lens MCON-40', once again has to be bought with the adaptor tube. Any feedback on this one?

There are a few filters as well. I'll do a little research. I know these have been mentioned over and over on the forums but any feedback on the above would be appreciated.

He doesn't mention a tele lens. Is there a good one that fits the Phayee adaptor?

Thanks once again, one and all. I really appreciate all I am learning from these forums. Will post some photos soon. I promise.

Cheers

John
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:52 AM   #13

The Phatee deal is $105 for WA + $22.50 for adapter. Still not too bad.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:42 PM   #14

js63 wrote:
Quote:
WOW! Thanks for your instant reply Goldar. If you don't mind I'm going to take advantage of your presence and ask a few more questions that are just slightly off topic. Hope you, or another member, can help.

Hey John, here's where I jump off the bus. I don't have your camera, and no experience with the 3rd party adapters. I use the FZ-1v2 and stock adapter with a 55-52 step down ring. Irecommend the WCON 07 as I just went through the processes myself, and your orig ??? was isiftheprice in line. Perhaps oneof the other members can helpyou from this point.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:54 AM   #15

****** wrote:
Quote:
****** wrote:
Quote:
10x for the info!

pschooley1 this is what I need, WCON 8b is a good choice for me. How about the other lenses - WCON and Nikon? Can you shаre some experience, please! And when can I find this Nikon?

I mean TCON :-)
You are on the right track stay away from step rings they degrade picture quality. If you are going to get the Wcon08B 62mm, get the Tcon14B 1.45X, second only to the Panasonic. Do not buy expensive filters. They are a waste of money. Although results can be scientifically proven, they are, in reality indistinguishable to the amateur or semi-pro. The Hoya series Bare coated on both sides and, in 62mm, cost $20.00 for a UV and $22.00 for a linear polarizer. The FZ does not need circular polarizer.

Before you buy the Tcon run with the standard zoom, see if your really need it or is this a case of "mine is bigger then yours".

:bye:
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:43 AM   #16

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
You are on the right track stay away from step rings they degrade picture quality.[/color]
... While I don't disagree with you regarding step-down rings, I think a lot depends on camera and the adapter. There's a plethra of combinations one can have and each one varies.

I (now) almost ->always<- leave my Raynox 720 WA converter on my FZ 1v2, as I find myself in situations more often where I want to go wider than have the full reach of the zoom. Also, full wide (around 27mm equiv) with the adapter attached enables hand-held shots at ridiculously low shutter speeds when used in conjunction with OIS. Great for hand-held candids in room light. There is no discernable degredation in quality through the zoom range with this camera/WA adapter combination. Images look the same to me with or without the adapter through the zoom range. The DCR 720 is attached with the stock Panasonic tube and a 55-52 step-down ring. It has significant barrel distortion at wide, a 2 second correction in post. No vignetting, sharp corner to corner. Here's an example photo I posted to another thread using this combination:

Not saying I disagree, just saying that it's a YMMV kinda thing regarding adapter/camera combos using step-down, step-up rings. Do get a thin step ring, regardless.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:12 AM   #17

Nick you are right about the thin rings but I believe you will agree with me that it's better to remove rings at all. I'll take the Phayee adapter, WCON 08b and maybe an external flash for now (I miss ISO 1600 so much ). Next step will be Raynox 2020 orTCON 14band Nikon 6t.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:30 AM   #18

I have a Oly W-con 08 55mm with Pemaraal adapter 62mm and a step-down ring and the quality is very high.
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:28 AM   #19

Here's a nice site - apparently translated from Japanese, that rates aslew of teleconverters and wide angle adapters. Oddly absent is the WCON 07, however. Note at the bottom, the Raynox 660 that the author "regrets buying" is NOT the same as the Raynox 6600 that the author rates a "4" (the 660 is the previous incarnation of the 6600 [xtra 0])) There are links to samples as well, though some of the links are broken.

http://kazutoku.maxs.jp/G1andG2/telewide_eng.htm

I aree with their assessment on the two WA's I have on the list. I like the Raynox 720, a good "everyday" WA due to its zoom-through capabilities if you don't mind correcting the rather extreme barrel distortion in PS at its widest setting. The 6600 is very good as it buys the most real estate with minimal distortion but edges blur (not correctable in post, unless you crop it out...)increasingly worser and worser as you zoom. Basically unuseable after 2X.

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:44 PM   #20

FZ @ 1x.

FZ @ 1x with Wcon07 55mm special adapter.
Quote:
Nick you are right about the thin rings but I believe you will agree with me that it's better to remove rings at all. I'll take the Phayee adapter, WCON 08b and maybe an external flash for now (I miss ISO 1600 so much ). Next step will be Raynox 2020 orTCON 14band Nikon 6t.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote