Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:47 PM   #1

Hallo everyone. I own a Panasonic FZ20, and yesterday was the first opportunity to test camera on a sunset.I tooka shot whith the sun in center of the picture, around the sun appeared 8 red spots, as you can see inattached photo. With or without lens hood, at the end of telephoto, or wide, with sun on center, left, right or wherever, I have this pattern of red spots. Before FZ20 I owned a Canon A75 (3Mp, 3x), took dozens of sunset pictures, never got such an ugly lens flare (or whatever it is).
Is this a normal state of the camera/lens?
If this is normal (which is hard for me to believe), is there a filter that can diminish this effect?
Thanks for your time.
Attached Images

catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:17 PM   #2

Actually I think this is a rather pleasing image. I'm not certain how you would get rid of this effect. You're pointing your camera directly into the sun.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:57 PM   #3

Yes, sometimes this effects are pleasing but in more than 90% of sunset/rise photos, you don't want them.
I asked a few experienced photographer friends, and they all had the same reaction (as I did): uuuu ugly! Besides, they can't explain the phenomenon (it doesn't look like lens flare).
My point was if anyone that has an FZ20 can help me with an answer, if this happens to all FZ20's or is it a malfunction (which I strongly believe), because I don't think that Leica produced such a poor quality lens.
I will attach another sample with sun in a different position but with the same annoying (for me) red spots.
Thanks again for your interest.
Attached Images

catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:22 PM   #4
tb1

hummm... Curious as to settings you are using for these? I just took some sunsets this past weekend and didn't get the pattern of red spots - see shot in this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...58&forum_id=23
Here are the settings for this shot:
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 6mm (36mm 35mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0006s (10/16000)

tb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:28 PM   #5

I see you shot f8, 1/2000 sec., 80 ISO. You're results should be like his. Could be a bum camera. Here's another FZ20 shot off the forum
Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:58 PM   #6

I've never seen anything like that. The grid pattern would suggest a problem with the sensor. Can you return it?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:20 PM   #7

This pattern shows up on some of my shots as well. I thought it was flaring.That being said, I think it might be due to overexposing. Some of the pictures I take directly into the sun don't have this effect at all. Interesting problem. Here's a couple of samples I have. These 2 photos were probably taken about 2 minutes apart. First one-ugly spots, but 2nd one is fine. Any ideas anyone. Sorry, about exif data. Don't know what it is. I'll try to get it some way for you guys. thekman.

ps:heres the exif that I could dig up

1st photo:Focal length 10.2mm
Aperture priority f/8
Shutter speed 1/1600
Exposure Comp 0 ev
ISO 80
Metering centre weighted.

2nd photo:Focal length 6mm
Aperture priority f/5.2
Shutter 1/640
Exposure Comp -3 ev
ISO 80
Metering Centre weighted.

I think the next time I go shoot a sunset, I'll do a proper test of this, and set up on a tripod and change settings to get a proper assessment of what might be happening. Seems strange how some photos have this and some don't, although upon closer inspection of the 2nd photo here, there are some very faint red spots at the bottom in the dark treed area. thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:33 PM   #8

2nd shot-no spots
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:42 PM   #9

The spots do appear to be in the same pattern on both cameras. Very similiar to the sensor shape. If you take an indoor picture of a bare bulb can you duplicate the effects? If you can it might be easier to see which settings cause the effect.
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:03 PM   #10

Take a look at this site about half way down they have a drawing of a ccd sensor. It looks familiar.

http://www.shortcourses.com/how/sensors/sensors.htm
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote