Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:23 AM   #1

ok here's a little background story to make more sense. my AP Macroeconomics/Government teacher is the Tennis coach as well, and this tuesday I went to a match to take pictures of the team for him and to use in the school yearbook. Today i brought a couple of pictures, the panoramic picture i posted in the other thread and a wallpaper i made for him. he liked it so much he took me to see the teacher who's in charge of taking pictures for the school yearbook/newspaper and such. and she saw the camera and then showed me the one they use here...

its a film Canon Rebel and she had on a 70-300mm lens on it. the thing was HUGE and so heavy compared to my fz20 she was amazed:lol:the lens themselves are so big and heavy, and to think they're only up to 300mm when the fz20's go to 432mm! and they dont have IS which the FZ20 does. so cool.

sorry if i'm a little weird but its the first time i've seen a SLR camera with a 300mm lens on it and compared to my own. so cool!

just a side question, how much would the 36-432mm IS lens on the FZ20 cost for a dSLR camera?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2

A Canon 28-300 mm which works out to 40-480 mm on a Rebel is $2400. It's f/3.5-5.6 not f2.8 throughoutlike the FZ.:|
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3

You really take these capabilities for granted if you've never seen/owned these things from your film days. I think the Lumixesquite revolutionary. As nooner points out, lenses that even "approach" the specs on the Lumix's cost thousands of dollars, lose a couple stops at full tele,require a tripod, and are gigantic. (How would you like to carry that thing around all day?) I literallyknow of no other lens that can match the capability of the lenses on these cameras.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:04 PM   #4

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:
A Canon 28-300 mm which works out to 40-480 mm on a Rebel is $2400. It's f/3.5-5.6 not f2.8 throughoutlike the FZ.:|
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"holy crap:shock:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"and is that lens IS? cause i've seen that canon IS lens are much more expensive than the non-IS ones. either way, today i realized just how awesome my new camera's lens is
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:01 PM   #5

The reason the lenses are so compact is these cameras have small sensors. Panasonic engineers have done a very amazing job cramming tons of pixels into very small sensors.

The sensor is the "focal plane". It's the plane where the image is focused. Because it focuses the image on a plane that's the size of the fingernail on your pinky the lense can have an enormous range of focal length yet be very compact.

As the size of the focal plane increase - say to the size of a strip of 35mm film, the distance the lens elements from the plane - along with its size, must increase proportunately. Put another way, because the focal plane is (guessing) 8X the size of the Lumix CCD on a piece of 35mm film, the lens must be 8X (or some proportunate) larger than the lens on the Lumix.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:17 AM   #6

what nick said...

larger sensor=less noise per ISO...

i can go to iso 1600 and get the noise you get at iso 200 :-p

but really, it's comparing apples to oranges...

there are always tradeoffs...slr has amazing image quality, but is heavier/more expensive...

compacts are smaller, but lose in image quality, and some other aspects...(no 'real' viewfinder, reeeally small sensor, bulb settings, and quickness in changing settings)

lol, i do think it's awesome that panasonic has brought cameras with 400+ mm telephoto to the 'normal' person that isn't filthy rich, or doing it for a living...

lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:14 PM   #7

canon 10d on the left with 2 lenses that equal the sony 828.
The small canon zoom lens of the two costs more than the sony 828

both setups cover 28-200 mm zoom

of course the Lumix go one better 35 - 430 yes w/a not as good.

DSLR's just dont make much sense for 90% of the time.
for high ISO yes, but you can get by with a Lumix even for indoor shots depends on the lighting and techniques you use.
Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:22 PM   #8

nice. like i said, the lens are huge. i know this guy at the forums i visit(FutureMark) who owns a Canon 1D MarkII i think with 500mm lens that cost him $5000(just the lens) and that thing is HUGE.

boyzo do you own these cameras or did you get the picture online?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #9

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
nice. like i said, the lens are huge. i know this guy at the forums i visit(FutureMark) who owns a Canon 1D MarkII i think with 500mm lens that cost him $5000(just the lens) and that thing is HUGE.

boyzo do you own these cameras or did you get the picture online?
No I only have the FZ1v2
image from here
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../sony828.shtml
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:43 PM   #10

A professional photographer friend visited today, with her Digital Rebel (300D) and lenses in a nice attachecase. It was HUGE. Even compared to my old 35mm Rebel.

I brought out my FZ3 and showed it her, then happily spent the afternoon shooting nice indoor natural light shots ofher and my wife with the curtains drawn to diffuse the strong sunlight.

She was very impressed.

I didn't dare tell her it has IS.

Yes - on a small sensornoise is more ofan issue, but with IS I was shooting at 1/15 indoors in natural light with f3 at 80 ISO and the shots were fine.

And can you imagine hauling that huge thing out and waving it aroundat the zoo? I can put my FZ3 in my jacket pocket.
alandavey is offline   Reply With Quote