Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:48 PM   #11

hey guys...all the links thus far have been free for a trial period only. Is there any software out there that is free...period. lol

Like panatools for barrel distortion

optic verve, and many other PS CS plug ins

thanks for any links

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:35 PM   #12

The Neat Image Demo is free and does not expire. It says freeware right on the site.
Noiseware ha s a community edition thats free and is right on the site. Look closer.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:28 PM   #13

Remove Noise without loosing details, with Free software? It's possible!...Just one easy step to get noise free, and sharp FZ20 pictures. It worksgreat for ISO80 and ISO100 images."

herk56wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't read like an ad to me...
:O :O
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:58 PM   #14

Plus... how much noise is there at ISO 80/100. The problem starts at 200-above:?
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:16 PM   #15

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Plus... how much noise is there at ISO 80/100. The problem starts at 200-above:?
Overlooked the obvious on that one. Good point.
Hey, pauln:

Post No Bills! on this forum.

'kay buddy?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:34 PM   #16
Administrator

Well....

I'm normally more suspicious than most people, and I'll admit it sounds like ad copy. ;-)

But...

* Helicon has been around for a while now

*pauln has been a forum member since August, and he does not have a history of posting SPAM

* the post about Helicon was made only to this forum, and he indicated that he was trying products for his FZ20

* he mentioned that the older version resulted in blurred images:

Quote:
Recently, Helicon came with a new versionof their Noise Filter. Version 2.03.1 is much better as ther previous versions (blurred results).

So, I think that he's just being a littleenhusiastic the newer versionbecause it removed noise for him, versus trying to advertise for those guys.

I wasnot personally impressed with Heliconthe last time I tried it, but I have seen some recent posts from users that seem to like it elsewhere (and I have not tried the newer versions).

So... I think we should givepauln the benefit of the doubt.

Welcome to the forums pauln (even though you joined in August).

You may want to try some of the other products mentioned here, too (Neat Image, Noiseware, Noise Ninja and Grain Surgery are popular tools).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:50 PM   #17

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
i guess it depends on how picky you are... i've noticed it in some shots, even at low ISO settings, and it's nice to be able to remove it. but then, i'm picky!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:31 AM   #18

I've been using the free version of Neat Image and I've only used it in fully auto mode, but I've found it softens the picture quite intensely. If you going to use it, set the reduction levels manually. Its also not the fastest program around
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:42 AM   #19

Redhouse thanks for the links and for pointing out what I needed. Both softwares are decent, not the end all be all, but they serve a purpose.

thanks

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:55 AM   #20

I couldn't find the example shots (I know I got prints of them but maybe I deleted the digital versions before I uploaded them, but it's more likely not being able to remember where i put them), but...

what free program will reduce noise taken at ISO 400 and -2 stops exposure compensation (because even at F/3.1 and with IS I need that sometimes with some of my shots to keep them from getting too blurry.) without losing ANY detail (make them look about as detailed as a shot taken at ISO 50 with flash, for example)?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote