Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:22 AM   #21

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
what free program will reduce noise taken at ISO 400 and -2 stops exposure compensation (because even at F/3.1 and with IS I need that sometimes with some of my shots to keep them from getting too blurry.) without losing ANY detail (make them look about as detailed as a shot taken at ISO 50 with flash, for example)?
There is no such program. Noise reduction is NEVER without losing detail.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:33 AM   #22

ok then, what's a good way to use an S1 IS to get a decent quality no-flash shot at EV 4 and 1/30" shutter speed? (or EV 6 and 1/125" - both would be at ISO 400, -2 stops compensation, F/2.8 (or F/3.1 if I was zoomed)).
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:59 AM   #23

You can possibly get a decent quality using a noise reduction program, but it depends on the picture. It should be no problem to remove the noise from plain surfaces, but if you havesmall detailswith different colors and brightness, the result may be poor.

What are you going to shoot with these settings?
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:16 AM   #24

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
ok then, what's a good way to use an S1 IS to get a decent quality no-flash shot at EV 4 and 1/30" shutter speed? (or EV 6 and 1/125" - both would be at ISO 400, -2 stops compensation, F/2.8 (or F/3.1 if I was zoomed)).
Although this thread isn't camera specific and it might be a longshot but why don't you ask this in the Canon forum where people are more familiar with your camera?? Since, that is, you are asking a camera specific question...

:?:

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:39 PM   #25

it would be quite detailed.

Here's a poor-quality example daytime shot (but I'm talking about indoors or nighttime. (the example shot was taken late afternoon at 1/100", ISO 200, 32x digital zoom, F/3.1, from 800 feet away.)

I may be trying to stop that kind of motion, but chances are I won't be trying to do it from THAT far away in most cases. At the farthest I'd probably be close enough to isolate the subject's body above her knees and the bat and ball at 380mm telephoto without having to use digital zoom. (the attached picture is resized, not cropped.)
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:47 PM   #26

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:41 PM   #27

paulin made his first post on the board and tried to share something he thought was important. The welcome he (or she) was given might not exactly encourage further posts. I would like to add my welcome to JimC's and hope you aren't discouraged by some of the responses.

I agree with Stoney79 that there is always some resolution loss with noise reduction. There is a balance where you can reduce the noise a little without degrading the resolution to any appreciable degree.

The only way to do it right is to use noise reduction as a plug-in in a good image editor. You can apply reduction to areas that particularly need it and leave other areas unmodified or will less reduction. You could use a stand-alone program and remove noise from the entire image. Then overlay that in your image editor with the original and just erase the areas you want left alone. A lot of trouble but worth the effort if you were making a big print.

I played with pianoplayer88key's image and couldn't get any improvement at all with either Neat Image or Grain Surgery – even at low settings. It might work better with the full sized image. This was the result with just a little enhancement. Any level of noise reduction I used didn't do anything but remove texture from the path. Even selected areas weren't improved.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:14 PM   #28

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:07 PM   #29

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The only way to do it right is to use noise reduction as a plug-in in a good image editor. You can apply reduction to areas that particularly need it and leave other areas unmodified or will less reduction. You could use a stand-alone program and remove noise from the entire image. Then overlay that in your image editor with the original and just erase the areas you want left alone. A lot of trouble but worth the effort if you were making a big print.
so what's a good efficient way of doing that noise reduction on >5GB of 3mp superfine S1IS/A70/A80 JPGs?

I should mention that some taken with the A70/A80 may need to be heavily cropped cause I didn't have enough telephoto. (and even with the S1 IS I'm still severely limited by only having 380mm. (and 5mp and 432mm still won't cut it - figure of merit is only like 900 million instead of 450 million or something like that...)
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:56 PM   #30

There is no easy way. Maybe post your questions in another forum like PS/image editors or Canon. This is about Panasonic not post processing.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote