Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:28 AM   #21

Hey he/she is like a Maltese Terrior, ain't it absolutly geogeous (ahh shivers me spellin aint rite,) anyways its a beauty, I'm sure Nick would love it, oh so would I,it would love being wiff Alex, and me am sure Nick would love another dawg

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:06 AM   #22

That's a real cutie, Nancy. Thanks for postin'. You're right though, partial to bigger dogs that I can play frisbee with on the beach and 'rassle with on occasion.

I think my frisbee - and I can hurl'em, a skill I developed in my beachbum days, would decapitate the poor critter. As for a friendly rasslin' match? Think that's out.

What DSLR did you get? Know you were lookn' at the Canon but there's quite a few nice ones out there now. Prices are droppin' too. Probably my next camera will be a used one but not for a year or two.

... happy as a "clom" with the FZ-1v2, (and my MF floder, and my 35mm SLR : )
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:53 AM   #23

Nick your dawg looks just fab .. lots of character in that face. It looks to me that is a rarely handy piece of kit. Is there anything you don't like about it ?

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
one of my girlfriends just got a dog, shot this yesterday, for you Nick, being that we haven't spoken in awhile. I get the feeling that you're the big dog type of guy, this guy is tiny, esp. being he is a puppy:

Nancy, thats such a cute lil pup..any idea what kind it is ?

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:56 PM   #24

Nick, those are great shots of your dog! What settings did you use on the camera and flash?

Nancy, same compliment and question to you!

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:34 PM   #25

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
Nick, those are great shots of your dog!* What settings did you use on the camera and flash?

Nancy, same compliment and question to you!

I used (I think...) 1//60th f 2.8 (try to avoid that setting and f-8 but it's hard to do, as you know...) but the photo came out well due to the Lumiquest 80-20. I used the plastic diffuser, no insert. I directs 80% of the light at the ceiling, 20% toward the subject. The diffuser (not necessary but I was 'sperimentin) really (well) diffuses the light. The 20% provides enough light to cast some nice specular highlights, the 80% ceiling eliminates harsh shadows...

Digital or film, it's all about the light.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:43 PM   #26

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Nick your dawg looks just fab .. lots of character in that face. It looks to me that is a rarely handy piece of kit. Is there anything you don't like about it ?
Yeah, love m' dawg. Just one of those extrodinary ones. He's a trip. He sits like a passenger in the summer with the top down on my convertable... get's a lot of laughs. I take him to the nearby coffee shop sometimes. We sit outside - both on a chair. He just hangs out, "people watches..." like a human. Great dawg, is Alex. He was a Golden Retriever rescue mission dog who was abused. Who could do such things to animals is beyond me. Truly evil, screwed up people out there.

The Lumiquest 80-20 I've only had a couple days. Really improves flash photography imo. No harsh lights, close to studio. It's pricey given it's really just a vinyl and velcro contraption (probably only costs a couple bucks to make...) but it's a relatively low cost ditty, and light-weight and portable. Definately a highley recommended item for the gear bag...

I took some really nice portraits of the kids with it today. Beautiful soft lighting... Thumbs up on this one, m8t's. These cams aren't known to be the best indoors but there's always a work-around, ya know?

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:30 AM   #27

Nick,

Just to clarify, are you really 18 inches away when you took the picture of your dog? What happen to the in-camera flash as I don't see any blown out parts? 18 inches would really blowout any pictures using the flash.
espirire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:46 AM   #28

espirire wrote:
Quote:
Nick,

Just to clarify, are you really 18 inches away when you took the picture of your dog? What happen to the in-camera flash as I don't see any blown out parts? 18 inches would really blowout any pictures using the flash.
Yes I was "roughly" 18" inches from the dog. You can tell somewhat from the out of focus tossles of the blanket in the foreground on the right of the picture. My hand was braced against the sofa cushion. I had a wide angle adapter on the camera (Raynox 720).

Realize that I was using an FZ-1 and it doesn't have as powerful a flash as the rest of the line. Does the external flash overpower the on-board one even with a diffuser? Dunno. Happy accident. Whose's complainin'?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:47 AM   #29

I am not sure what type of dog that is, my girlfriend mentioned it when she brought him over, but I don't remember. I think Maltese might be right. I shot it on Program mode, f2.8 @ 1/60th of a sec at ISO100.

Nick, I am set on the Canon D20, I just found out that the lens I want is double the price (600 clams) but it is supposed to be very fast and it has IS, my telephoto zoom I will pick up as soon as it warms up. I have a few business deals in the works so if it turns out, I can buy the camera, cards, accessories etc. And then hope to make the money back doing some shoots on the weekends. I might just do wedding photography, and not get into all of the processing, just hand 'em a disc and let them deal with everything, but do it at a very good price (I'm thinking $400-$500, what do you think?). The last two weddings I was at the photographer was shooting digital, and the last of the two they used either a D70 (Nikon) or a D2H, and neither are as good as the 20D.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:57 AM   #30

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure what type of dog that is, my girlfriend mentioned it when she brought him over, but I don't remember. I think Maltese might be right.* I shot it on Program mode, f2.8 @ 1/60th of a sec at ISO100.*

Nick, I am set on the Canon D20, I just found out that the lens I want is double the price (600 clams) but it is supposed to be very fast and it has IS, my telephoto zoom I will pick up as soon as it warms up.* I have a few business deals in the works so if it turns out, I can buy the camera, cards, accessories etc.* And then hope to make the money back doing some shoots on the weekends.* I might just do wedding photography, and not get into all of the processing, just hand 'em a disc and let them deal with everything, but do it at a very good price (I'm thinking $400-$500, what do you think?).* The last two weddings I was at the photographer was shooting digital, and the last of the two they used either a D70 (Nikon) or a D2H, and neither are as good as the 20D.
D20 is a great camera... but isn't Canon coming out with a new DSLR - the "350" I think, very shortly? Either way, you can't go wrong with a D20. $400 to $500 oughta get you some clients quick - especially in NYC! Do creep your way into the upper east side territory (use you feminine wiles. no old fat bald guy photog can compete...), and multiply that X10. :G Sounds like a great idea, "preditory pricing" get a couple under your belt, then jack up the prices to the going rate.

Do post when you get your Canon!
Then when you get your 1st gig,
Then when you tie the knot!