Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:27 PM   #1

Just arrived in the mail... Really big improvement in indoor flash photography. Some might consider it a bit pricey given its a vinyl, velcro, and plastic contraption but it really eliminates harsh shadows, and studio-quality soft lighting... I'll post some test shots to this thread soon. Highly recommended. Get the 80-20 "promax" which includes four additional diffusers, gold (outdoor fill), silver (specular highlights), white (for when the ceiling is above 8'), and a frosted plastic piece for super-diffused. You can use the flexible frosted piece with the three other colored inserts.

The 80-20 system directs 80% of the flash output to the ceiling, and 20% toward the subject. Whatever, it just works nicely.

Here's a nice review about it with a link:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/lq/
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:11 PM   #2

Thanks for the link, Nick. I've been fooling around with using an external flash with macros and bouncing off a sheet of paper which is a little awkward not to mention kind of strange looking. This LumiQuest Pocket Bounce looks like the ticket. I guess it's included in the package you got. Sells seperately for ~$20. Folds flat for storage and connects with velcro. Has anyone tried it on insect macros?

[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:55 PM   #3

Looks interesting....................................... .................................................. ........................................but is it edible:?:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:00 PM   #4

yeah should be...if it aint we could fry it or stick it on a barbeque. I'll have mine with a salad!

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:59 PM   #5

Here's a sample portrait of my dawg using the 80-20. PS - Fred, the pocket photo is okay. But I would recommend getting the 80-20 pro max. Much more versitile... Really makes a difference. The promax includes the colored deflectors and a diffuser. It's a little pricey relative to the cost to produce but in fooling around with it, it makes a huge difference in indoor shots.

The pic of the dawg doesn't have a comparison shot, as he moved as animals are want to do, but I think you can see the difference w/o a comparison. I was about 18" away from him. This is using the frosted portrait diffuser with some light USM.

Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6

This shot looks great -particularly from 18". What do you doto the onboard flash in this shot?

Is the pocket bounce included in the kit you got? How much was the kit and where did you get it?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7

Congratulations! My Christmas gift was the 80-20 ProMax kit, and I think it's great, too, even though I haven't dabbled with the silver or gold inserts yet.

It's great when there's a ceiling for bouncing (the "80" part), but I've found it's great when there's no ceiling, using the white insert - better than just the flash alone.

One question. Having this, is there still a need for buying any sort of softbox, for any circumstances?
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:17 PM   #8

Nick, I love me 'dawgs', and I sure as 'heck freezes over' fell in love with yours...oh yeah and with the photo of course.........whats his/her name.a retreiver?

Now that I've read a bit more, does this gadget fit onto an existing flash unit..whichever is ones preference.......am I correct?

sure looks interesting....I'm winning lotto tonite so I can do all the shoppin I want......:-):-):-)

Hazz

Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:32 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
This shot looks great -¬*particularly from 18".¬* What do you do¬*to the onboard flash in this shot?¬*

Is the pocket bounce included in the kit you got?¬* How much was the kit and where did you get it?
Fred, I think the pocket flash would be virtually the same as using the white insert. The best results for a regular group shot is without any insert and have the light bounce off the ceiling. Edges out using the insert (at least in my environs) YMMV. The silver is nice too, adds some nice specular highlights. The gold, I think, would be great outdoors to use as a fill. Adds a nice warm light.

I didn't do anything with the on-board flash. I think the DF200 overpowers it even with the diffusers. (In fact, that's why I shot so close in...) If anything, I think it adds some specular highlights.

My guess is it would help with macros. They also have a product called the snoot that might also be worth taking a look at for macros. I'll try to post a w/wo macro test tomorrow of a still object.

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations! My Christmas gift was the 80-20 ProMax kit, and I think it's great, too, even though I haven't dabbled with the silver or gold inserts yet.

It's great when there's a ceiling for bouncing (the "80" part), but I've found it's great when there's no ceiling, using the white insert - better than just the flash alone.

One question. Having this, is there still a need for buying any sort of softbox, for any circumstances?
Thanks! I dont think the softbox would be necessary. This one seems to cover every base (which is why I got this one over the others...). I think the that plastic slip provides about all the diffusion you'll ever need.

Just my guess, though.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10

Nice cast Nick. Lovely golden glow. looks so relaxed, like he's been savoring the saki tonight.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote