Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:17 AM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
you didn't mention what ISO setting you were using, but judging by the noise, it was probably at least 200. i ran your photo through "PictureCooler", and it helped quite a bit, but still didn't clean up all the noise.i could do more, but it might start blurring detail. some shots just can't be cleaned up enough to get rid of all the noise, and this might be one of them...
I thought I did. it was ISO80, f/2.8 and 1/60.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dont worry about it guys, it was just a sudden idea of going to take the picture and i just happened to like it. today i plan to go again. if i'm still at home i'll go, if not i'll be at my girlfriend's and the lake there has a gorgeous sunset that i'd love to photograph.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"can you guys give me pointers as to what the best settings will be?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:24 AM   #12

I have to borrow a stick of RAM from my main computer, which is down for maintenance. 256Mb doesn't cut it for that image. It is about 36Mb when decompressed and layers and filters send it to virtual memory, which becomes a watching the grass grow project. I won't be able to get to it until later this evening.

My noise reduction is a plug-in, so it will be a lot easier. What you need to do with a stand alone noise reduction program:
Do your noise reduction and Save as in an uncompressed format like TIFF.
Open both the original and the image with the noise reduction in your image editor.
Drag the noise reduced image over the original. Align them as well as you can and then choose a layers mode that lets you make a fine adjustment. Go back to "Normal" for the layers.
With the little experimenting I was able to do before it went to virtual memory, some smart blur did a nice job on the sky in addition to the noise reduction. You might select out the sky and try that.
Choose the eraser tool and erase the areas where there isn't sky and water. You can use reduced flow on the eraser tool if you want some of the noise reduction on the land features. I don't think you really need that but I'll know better when I get another 512Mb of RAM in the computer.
When you get the image like you want it, flatten the image and save it as a JPG so you can put it online.

If you use a tripod put the ISO on the lowest setting for your camera. An extra couple of seconds on the exposure isn't significant but the noise reduction is.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:25 PM   #13

I installed the RAM in and increased Photoshop's take to 85%. Much easier.

I ran it straight in Grain Surgery with the standard reduction but increased the chroma quite a bit and also added some plain area smoothing or whatever GS calls that. The buildings look pretty good but the water has lost some texture. If you like the effect otherwise I would be happy to do it again and treat the water differently. You might get a little noise in the water but would keep the texture.

Let me know when you have had a chance to look this over and download it if you are interested. I would like to dump it from pbase. Let me know if you want more texture in the water.
http://www.pbase.com/slipe/image/40453853/original

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:30 PM   #14

thanks a lot. i'll try that in photoshop now. i saved the image already so you can delete it. thanks:-) i'll try taking the pano another day a little bit earlier with more sunlight
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote