Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 265
Default

i took a panoramic shot of the lake where i live(approx 12.6MP) at night using ISO80 and it came out extremely noisy. i've tried using the helicon filter, neatimage and noiseninja and none of them do a good enough job IMO. either dont remove the noise well enough or blur the image too much:sad:

can anyone give me some tips as to how to do this? the original size picture is 1536 pixels high and i want it to be 768 after post processing so we have 50% to shrink(for better IQ i guess). please help! if need be i'll post the image but its 11MB+:sad:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jsiladi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 587
Default

How did you make the Panorama? Knowing may help get some suggestions.. With some editors you can save in a lossless format to avoid quality reduction in a resave.. See the JPGvsTIFF thread.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RedHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 216
Default

If you shot at night there may be no to reduce the noise because of lack of light. Some situations can't be corrected with software.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
i took a panoramic shot of the lake where i live(approx 12.6MP) at night using ISO80 and it came out extremely noisy. i've tried using the helicon filter, neatimage and noiseninja and none of them do a good enough job IMO. either dont remove the noise well enough or blur the image too much:sad:

can anyone give me some tips as to how to do this? the original size picture is 1536 pixels high and i want it to be 768 after post processing so we have 50% to shrink(for better IQ i guess). please help! if need be i'll post the image but its 11MB+:sad:
Show me the picture?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 265
Default

oops double post!
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 265
Default

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
How did you make the Panorama? Knowing may help get some suggestions.. With some editors you can save in a lossless format to avoid quality reduction in a resave.. See the JPGvsTIFF thread.

Jeff
i shot the 8 pictures by hand and then stitched them with ArcSoft Panorama Maker. when i saved the stitched image I did it as a .bmp and i have it still, its a 40MB file...the one i'm posting now is after a tiny bit of cropping and auto levels in photoshop, saved as JPG so now its like 11MB.

Lovelife, here you have the picture. If you guys could remove the noise so the picture would be worthy of being on a website, i'd love to.I personally like the picture so i would love to add it to my panoramic section if the noise can be removed. tomorrow i hope to go at a better time to take a different pano pic with the sun setting...hopefully:|

EDIT: duh! forgot the link to the picture. here you go picture

Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
i took a panoramic shot of the lake where i live(approx 12.6MP) at night using ISO80 and it came out extremely noisy. i've tried using the helicon filter, neatimage and noiseninja and none of them do a good enough job IMO. either dont remove the noise well enough or blur the image too much:sad:

can anyone give me some tips as to how to do this? the original size picture is 1536 pixels high and i want it to be 768 after post processing so we have 50% to shrink(for better IQ i guess). please help! if need be i'll post the image but its 11MB+:sad:
Show me the picture?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

you didn't mention what ISO setting you were using, but judging by the noise, it was probably at least 200. i ran your photo through "PictureCooler", and it helped quite a bit, but still didn't clean up all the noise.i could do more, but it might start blurring detail. some shots just can't be cleaned up enough to get rid of all the noise, and this might be one of them...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Stoney79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 314
Default

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
If you guys could remove the noise so the picture would be worthy of being on a website, i'd love to.I personally like the picture so i would love to add it to my panoramic section if the noise can be removed. tomorrow i hope to go at a better time to take a different pano pic with the sun setting...hopefully
I sent you an email with a noise profile for Neat Image that should work.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
i took a panoramic shot of the lake where i live(approx 12.6MP) at night using ISO80 and it came out extremely noisy. i've tried using the helicon filter, neatimage and noiseninja and none of them do a good enough job IMO. either dont remove the noise well enough or blur the image too much:sad:

can anyone give me some tips as to how to do this? the original size picture is 1536 pixels high and i want it to be 768 after post processing so we have 50% to shrink(for better IQ i guess). please help! if need be i'll post the image but its 11MB+:sad:
Show me the picture?
I did the best I could and it is so-so. The picture is out of focus. It is also has pixel blowout, did you try to lighten the original print? If you are going to do it, again you need a tripod. You must be in a central location to the picture. Set the exposure favoring the land. Alternatively, take two exposures for each section. You must use manual focus and set the camera to AP F2.8. Let the ISO fall where it may. The speed must not fall below 1/60[suP]th[/suP]. Do not pan past 180 degrees These setting should be used for the whole series. You might also try long exposures on a tripod at ISO 100.

LoveLife.

:bye:
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.