Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:43 PM   #1

I just got a Stofen Omnibounce for my Vivitar 283 & 285. I quickly discovered that the 285 at it's lower settings was the better choice for macro work. I then played with DOF using the full range of fstops.

I grabbed a feather that my parrot molted this morning for a subject and put it on a velvet pillow. I used a Nikon 6t, tripod, & external shutter release - manual focus.

I am posting two unedited photos

Shot #1
ASA 80
1/60 sec
f2.8
Vivitar 285 at 1/16 power
Attached Images

pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:44 PM   #2

Shot #2
ASA 80
1/60 sec
f8.0
Vivitar 285 at 1/16 power
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:49 PM   #3

Pretty good examples of how fstop affect light and DOF. I probably could have raised the flash to 1/8 power at f8.0 with good results but I wanted to change only f settings in this test.

I couldnt resist playing with some post. Here is #2 cropped, USM, and a bit of levels adjustments.
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:49 PM   #4

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
Pretty good examples of how fstop affect light and DOF. I probably could have raised the flash to 1/8 power at f8.0 with good results but I wanted to change only f settings in this test.

I couldnt resist playing with some post. Here is #2 cropped, USM, and a bit of levels adjustments.

pschooley, as you know from a different thread, I got a 285HV the other day and was just thinking this morning how people use a flash for macro pics. I also ordered the Omni with the flash. Boy thus it cut down on the light output. The little paper that came with it says 2.5 times reduction! I took some inside pics last nite using different settings on the flash as well as different Fstops. The dial arrangement for the auto modes seems to work pretty good as to exposure. I see that you mention 1/8 power mode, mine only has 1/2 and then drops to 1/16? I wonder why there isn't a 1/8 mode. Anywho, I have to believe that 1/16 mode w/omni must not give much light output. I think that the omni bounce is going to be definitely trial and error in my estimation.... Your thoughts and experience in this area would be appreciated.. thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:26 PM   #5

That was my bad it is 1/2 as you point out. We are both learning this at close to the same time. I just tried setting the dial between 1/16 & 1/2 (hoping it would create a setting of an in between value - no luck! The end result was too much light.

I like the effect of the stofen as a diffuser but tweaking the light is the next challenge. Next I will play with adjusting the angle of the flash head with the stofen attached and at the brighter settings. The change in angle should also affect the amount of light entering the field of view.

I look forward to seeing your results too.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
That was my bad it is 1/2 as you point out. We are both learning this at close to the same time. I just tried setting the dial between 1/16 & 1/2 (hoping it would create a setting of an in between value - no luck! The end result was too much light.

I like the effect of the stofen as a diffuser but tweaking the light is the next challenge. Next I will play with adjusting the angle of the flash head with the stofen attached and at the brighter settings. The change in angle should also affect the amount of light entering the field of view.

I look forward to seeing your results too.
I will pass along anything that I come up with on this combination. But you have an unfair advantage- it's warm where you live. No bugs and such in the snow! Gerry

ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote