Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:09 PM   #11

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I was planning on going for the canon 70-300mm DO IS lens, it is supposed to be very fast in the autofocus, and the IS is supposed to be very good, if it isn't as sharp at 300mm, so be it. The FZ20 ain't that sharp, and it produces great images. I am wondering if the Sigma lens can autofocus quickly and I don't think it has an IS which I will probably need. It is very inexpensive, though. I have a feeling in the next few years all of the lens manufacturers will be re doing all of their lenses to suit the needs of the ever growing dslr user. Hopefully Canon will come out with an EF-S lens equivalent to the 70-300mm DO lens that will be better and cheaper. If you do find some more info on that Sigma lens let me know. Does Tamron make one with the same specs???
Try this site Nancy it caters for DSLR's
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:12 PM   #12

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I was planning on going for the canon70-300mm DO IS lens, it is supposed to be very fast in the autofocus, and the IS is supposed to be very good, if it isn't as sharp at 300mm, so be it. The FZ20 ain't that sharp, and it produces great images.
Sure, but when you disburse more than a one thousand bucks for a lens, you expectvery high quality images,similar tothe "L" serie.....and this lens is not a big deal....if you check the sample images you'll notice that the Canon 75-300 IS (acheaper lens) produces similar images to the 70-300 DO, even, in some cases, better.......honestly I also wanna buy the DO lens, because of its size, but I believe it is not worth the money.
Quote:
I am wondering if the Sigma lens can autofocus quickly and I don't think it has an IS which I will probably need. It is very inexpensive, though.
Well, it's probably that this lens does not autofocus as fast as the 70-300 DO does, but Im pretty sure that it's faster than the FZ20.

"IS" is always needed, but the image quality is, for me, the most important thing.....but I have to confess that Im still doubting between the Canon 75-300IS and the Sigma 70-300 APO.
Quote:
I have a feeling in the next few years all of the lens manufacturers will be re doing all of their lenses to suit the needs of the ever growing dslr user. Hopefully Canon will come out with an EF-S lens equivalent to the 70-300mm DO lens that will be better and cheaper.
It is almost impossible since the new EF-S lenses are very expensive, the Canon 17-85 costs $600 :!:
Quote:
Does Tamron make one with the same specs???
Yes, Tamron and Sigma manufacture lenses with the same specs all the time.....when Tamron released the 18-200 Di, Sigma announced the new 18-200 Di......and viceversa.....which is better??? depends on the lens.....the Tamron 28-75Di is the best on its category.....but Sigma has better 70-300 lenses.....I guess.

Regards,

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:11 PM   #13

thanks for the info I thought the EF-S lens was about $300 but I just checked and it is $599 @ B&H, I wonder what lens I was thinking of. Either way, I think if you are getting a very good camera you should have the lenses to match. While it is a little on the expensive side, life is short, and I am willing to eat rice and beans for a week so I can have a better lens, but that is just me, I am also a perfectionist. Thank you for all of your help!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:10 PM   #14

Nancy, Im also a perfectionist and I completely understand what you're saying!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:31 PM   #15

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info I thought the EF-S lens was about $300 but I just checked and it is $599 @ B&H, I wonder what lens I was thinking of. Either way, I think if you are getting a very good camera you should have the lenses to match. While it is a little on the expensive side, life is short, and I am willing to eat rice and beans for a week so I can have a better lens, but that is just me, I am also a perfectionist. Thank you for all of your help!
Agree, the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS isthe perfect "walkaround" and Im gonna buy this lens along with the Canon 350D, but like you I also needa long zoom lens .......so,Ibelieve you shouldhave a look at the Canon 70-2004L, it is an amazing lens andyou canget it for just $550 (what a bargain)....Michael Reichmann of Luminous-landscape.com compares the image quality of this lens withone the bestCanon prime lens......highly recommendable.

Anyway, I hope you tell us your final decision in order to know your equipment's performance.

Regards,

Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:38 PM   #16

As I've noticed you are looking fora very high quality lens....I suggest a couple more:

Sigma 100-300 APO

Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L

Both are huge and expensive, but deserve respect.....

Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:14 AM   #17

when you mean "huge" I assume you mean heavy and long, right? I will look into it, but remember I am a meek little woman.

I wanna thank you, Mr. FZ10 user (sorry don't know your name). As an aside I just want to say how much I admire Peruvians, they are so patriotic, and have probably the best cuisine out of any ethnic cuisine that I have tasted. I used to date a guy, a while back, Hector, his sister opened a Peruvian restaurant in Manhattan (do you live near NYC?). It is called Lima's Taste it is on 13th street between 1st and Ave. A. The food is incredible. And I am somewhat of a connoisseur, being that he took me to every Peruvian restaurant in the tri state area, and I am not kidding. If you get the chance, tell Nelly (the owner along with her husband, Jason) that you are friends with Hector (I don't think she will remember me). She usually throws in a little somethin' extra. That goes for anyone who reads this post, the food is great, and the place has a nice romantic atmosphere so it is great to take a date. If anyone goes PM me and let me know how it went.

Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:56 AM   #18

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
when you mean "huge" I assume you mean heavy and long, right? I will look into it, but remember I am a meek little woman.
Yeah, I mean that.
Quote:
I wanna thank you, Mr. FZ10 user (sorry don't know your name).
Call me Arturo....

Quote:
As an aside I just want to say how much I admire Peruvians, they are so patriotic, and have probably the best cuisine out of any ethnic cuisine that I have tasted. I used to date a guy, a while back, Hector, his sister opened a Peruvian restaurant in Manhattan (do you live near NYC?). It is called Lima's Taste it is on 13th street between 1st and Ave. A. The food is incredible. And I am somewhat of a connoisseur, being that he took me to every Peruvian restaurant in the tri state area, and I am not kidding. If you get the chance, tell Nelly (the owner along with her husband, Jason) that you are friends with Hector (I don't think she will remember me). She usually throws in a little somethin' extra. That goes for anyone who reads this post, the food is great, and the place has a nice romantic atmosphere so it is great to take a date. If anyone goes PM me and let me know how it went.
Quote:

Nice tip Nancy, Im gonna take into consideration your cuisine advice.....peruvian food is one of the best all over the world, I have some friends and relatives who comes here for visiting their parents, friends and childs, and also for the delicious food....."Ceviche", "Aji de Gallina", "Carapulcra" " Locro" "Anticuchos".....etc etc. are typical dishes in Perú.....BTW, healthy food.

I live and work in Perú, but I have a transporting business in USA, along with my bro......in Tampa Bay.thats why Iusually goes toTampa, four or five times in a year.....believe it ornot in spite ofI´ve beenin USA many times.....I´ve never been in NYC.....but I want to...so it's probablyIpack my bagin July (aprox) and go to NYC and Chicago, where I also have some relatives.

Nice to meet you and talk to you a few things off-topic......

Take care a lot, best wishes....
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:07 PM   #19

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
As I've noticed you are looking for a very high quality lens....I suggest a couple more:

Sigma 100-300 APO

Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L

Both are huge and expensive, but deserve respect.....

Fz10 you are well up on Canon it seems ;-)))) so which canon DSRL body and lenses will give you Optical image stability (OIS)
OIS comes cheap with the Lumix DMC FZxx
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:29 AM   #20

Arturo, my favs are Papa la huancaina, and arroz chaufa (con pollo). Papa rellena is also really nice (is that Peruvian - they serve it at all of the Peruvian places, but I think it is all over SA). Also, how can you go to a Peruvian restaurant and not order Jalea???? For those of you who don't know, it is a heaping dish of fried seafood, with Calamari, and fish etc. and it is topped with onions soaked in lime juice and cilantro, mmmm---mmmmmm goood!